Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

04 June 2024, 02:05:27 PM #585 Last Edit: 04 June 2024, 03:10:20 PM by Last Hussar
Finished off the third* whilst waiting for the boiler engineer (why I'm off painting).

Next up; 5th Infantry Division. This is Guards, Grenadiers and Cuirassier. 24 strips Infantry, @8 men a strip, and 6 strips of horse, at 3 to a strip, plus an artillery unit of 3 guns.

Then I will have a Blucher ready army. The 1st Western is 302 points, so fits the 300 point standard army.

*4 units dragoon,  2 Uhlans.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

At the Bourne End show 9 days ago I was chatting to one of the exhibitors, who knows Walter's stuff.

Apparently he is very proud of the little wooden men, and somewhat disappointed that all people seem to be interested in is the storage trays. This guy said he tried to explain.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 04 June 2024, 03:08:36 PMAt the Bourne End show 9 days ago I was chatting to one of the exhibitors, who knows Walter's stuff.

Apparently he is very proud of the little wooden men, and somewhat disappointed that all people seem to be interested in is the storage trays. This guy said he tried to explain.

And rightly so, they are incredibly good and very clever, I just do not want to get into another scale - And someone I know has loads that I get to play with.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

Steve J

They are great figures and if you can paint them as well as Walt, they really do look superb!

Last Hussar

Unfortunately, Steve, I can't!  :'(

Scattered through this thread are photos of my efforts.

The problem I am currently having is the hussars I am painting at the moment are grey dolman, grey pelisse, grey trousers, grey shabrack... Cuffs and shabrack trim is red though.

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Last Hussar on 05 June 2024, 08:59:41 AMThe problem I am currently having is the hussars I am painting at the moment are grey dolman, grey pelisse, grey trousers, grey shabrack... Cuffs and shabrack trim is red though.

What a grey day then ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

So I did the OTHER hussars, who are blue, blue, blue and blue...

Dark blue.  :'(

GNU PTerry

Quote from: Last Hussar on 05 June 2024, 12:27:19 PMSo I did the OTHER hussars, who are blue, blue, blue and blue...

Dark blue.  :'(

Even the orses ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

They are that brown shade of blue. But only the ones who are hussars. The horses ridden by the hussars stay their base brown.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

192 Russian jackets painted green yesterday.
384 legs next.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Well, at least the leg count matches the jacket count.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

So have just finished basing 191 figures.  Somehow one broke off an went missing yesterday or Friday. Need to add the standards.

That's the Guards and Grenadiers done - 12 bases of 16. (OK, 11 bases of 16, and one of 15, maybe.*)

*normal line have 16 2 lines of 7, with 2 at the back. The command stands are a bit different because of sharing out 2 strips of 8 command figures among 6 bases. So I think I have one base with a front line of 2/2/2 I think. Because some bases are 2/3/2 figures, the musket strips are cut different,  so some bases end up with a 3rd file closer. The 2/2/2 line is because I wasn't sure I could cut the strip correctly to give a 3/2/2 rank.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

About to start the Cuirassiers in the guard. What colour are the shabraques? I'm getting both red and blue results in picture search, and no caption but Russian Cuirassier. Tried the words, but getting nothing.

Thanks.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

As far as I can find the shabraques are the same as turnbacks. I have opted for one yellow, one red, one blue base, representing Astrakhan, Empress and Emperor cuirassiers - 1,330 of the 2,330 horses. Need to do the rest of the uniform, plus hooves, blazes etc.

I think I might have to paint a few guns, but that than will be all the 1st Western Army except the the Artillery reserve. The ENTIRE 1st Western. All of it. Which comes to 277 points out of the 300 I need...  :'(   :'(   :'(

I think I am a couple or so guns short to paint up the reserve, so Walt is hopefully still cutting. Going to audit what I have to see what I need to do the 2nd Western as well (260 pts I think) - I have suggested to Sunjester a complete Borodino.

However looking at doing a 1813 battle, so half Austrian, half French - look for my command query on the Rules board. Also how to treat the artillery reserve.

GNU PTerry