Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

New Plan! (And thanks to FSN for his help here)

LINE - White faced Green - Hopefully I have enough bearskin (Only need 2 strips, might do one in Green faced red)
Skirmish Green faced Red
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

Sounds like a plan. Good luck.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

Got a certificate to prove I'm sane

d_Guy

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 17 May 2024, 11:50:15 AMGot a certificate to prove I'm sane
I've got one as well, but please note that they have expiration dates in the fine print at the bottom.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Quote from: d_Guy on 17 May 2024, 03:17:24 PMI've got one as well, but please note that they have expiration dates in the fine print at the bottom.

I ignored it.  :d

fsn

Yeah, and you still owe me £20 for it.

Used my special crayons on it and all.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Nobby is of his pills....getting deliusional

Last Hussar

19 May 2024, 12:13:49 AM #564 Last Edit: 19 May 2024, 12:25:35 AM by Last Hussar
Today painted enough cavalry for 4 bases. Which sounds better than 24 figures...

It's not as if I have to paint the horses!

Not sure why it takes so long. I think part of it was 12 of them were hussars, 2 different uniforms so it was do one, then the other, rather than what I did with the dragoons, where all 12 had the same uniform. They are currently finished but unbased due to two discoveries.

1) I've been forgetting to use my rotring pen. I have based the infantry without running it in the grooves on the figures, such as between the legs, arms and body, etc.

This is less an issue on Russians, as opposed to the Austrians,  who are white, white, with white... the thin black lines showed where the detail was - cut into the figures, but too shallow to be seen. However the hussars do need it, especially where the dolman and pelisse are the same colour.

2) I don't know where my rotring pen is... I'm wondering did I throw it because it gave up the ghost.

So, new pen to be bought tomorrow.

Also have discovered that auto correct thinks pelisse is badly spelled police.

A quick look at Funck showed the dragoons wore the raupenhelm; luckily I have some unpainted ones in the unpainted Austrians.

Tomorrow I will do a base of uhlans, which means sodding about with yard broom bristles to do the lances, as well as the bloody czapka tops - gluing 1.5mm squares on the hat. I was hoping they wore normal stuff, but oh no, the Poles do it, so the Russians have to do it... >:(

That will be 1st Cavalry Corps, out of 3; just 2 units in each corps, though I've a feeling I need to do attached cannon for each base.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Realised just before I went out this morning the Guard dragoons have red turnbacks. The was avery quick dab of paint on those.

Went into the Works (the stationery shop, not the ice cream one) and found they have Crawford and Black fine liners, 8 in various nib sizes for £4. Result.

Will outline and base, then see if I can get the Uhlans done. Bloody stupid hats, bloody lances...

(Met friends for breakfast. The answer to "what you doing today" was "putting socks on horses " confused them until they worked out I meant modelling!)

GNU PTerry

fsn

Quote from: Last Hussar on 19 May 2024, 11:45:32 AMWill outline and base, then see if I can get the Uhlans done. Bloody stupid hats, bloody lances...
I feel the same about hussars - it's the bloody stupid extra jacket - though I'll confess myself  quite fond of a lancer.

Last Hussar

19 May 2024, 04:00:45 PM #567 Last Edit: 19 May 2024, 04:23:26 PM by Last Hussar
Lancers done!

It's the czapka and lance with pennant that is the pain. Because these aren't cast on, as I have to convert other cavalry,  they are a bit fiddly.

I clip off the pom pom of a suitable proxy. The tricky bit is cutting little squares of paper to glue on.

The problem with the lances is the pennant,  cutting a strip of paper small enough, wrapping round the lances, then clipping the swallow tail.

However I do now have 1st Reserve Cavalry Corps.

Except for the cannon...

However I have found Doctor Who audio dramas on BBC sounds app.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

The uniforms on the lancers are a bit lighter than shown in Funcken, and other sources I looked at. I didn't bother darkening the paint because the pictures look almost black, and on 8mm I wanted the blue to come across.  Let's face it, 19th century dyed wool would lighten anyway- the British in the Peninsula had their coats fade to pink!

GNU PTerry