Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

Talking of Italians...

I am finding conflicting sources - I think it may be because they changed uniform in 1808 - In 1812 are they green with white turn backs, (like the French, but green, not blue) or White with green turn backs?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Update on Painting

Done the counting, I reckon this is the number of 40x20 bases I have to do for all of the Russians at Borodino (a base is 16 infantry, 6 cavalry, or one gun with crew).

Infantry   56
Grenadier   23   
Guard       8
Cuirassier    6   
Cavalry           24   
Cossack           12   
Artillery   52
TOTAL          181

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Questions about the painting;

Repeat of above - what was the Italian uniform in 1812 - like I say, conflicting sources.

And also, Cossacks - how were they used, should I have them as formal bases in the army.

I base Cavalry 6 to a base (see previous pics from Flickr). Would the Cossacks be this regimented? Or should I do them more like I do skirmish bases? - With these instead of 2 lines of 7 infantry I have 4 skirmishers placed in a loose formation on the base.

Blucher does have cossack units (they are a bit rubbish), but were they formed like a normal cavalry unit, taking part like a regular unit?

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

AS to Italian uniforms in 1812 - Italy wasn't a nation at the time, each state would be using a different uniform. You would need to search on Naples, Papal State etc....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

QuoteAnd also, Cossacks - how were they used, should I have them as formal bases in the army.

I base Cavalry 6 to a base (see previous pics from Flickr). Would the Cossacks be this regimented? Or should I do them more like I do skirmish bases? - With these instead of 2 lines of 7 infantry I have 4 skirmishers placed in a loose formation on the base.

Blucher does have cossack units (they are a bit rubbish), but were they formed like a normal cavalry unit, taking part like a regular unit?

There were 20 Cossack regiments at Borodino. Not sure how many per regiment but together with Uvarov's 1st Cavalry Division they amounted to around 8,000 men.

Although the feint by Uvarov and Platov achieved nothing obvious they pulled French troops out of position who would otherwise have been attacking the Russian main line. We will never know for sure but they may actually have saved the day for the Russians!

Cossacks were scouts, skirmishers and pickets. They weren't likely to be making full scale cavalry charges against anything but the most disordered and disorganised of enemies.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Last Hussar

Cheers, Ithoriel - that's what I thought. They have a strength 4 in the rules, as a opposed to 6 which is standard - as this is the number of dice they throw in combat, that is quite a disadvantage.

I will do these last, if I have enough figures left over, and only 3 or 4 on a base. Additionally I will make the 3 or 4 units all independent, rather than part of a corps, which means they will be more difficult to move and co-ordinate in Blucher.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

As to the Italians...

It appears Velites in White faced green, all other infantry Green faced white.

Looking at it my 4 stand base will have 1 Line, 1 Skirmish, 1 Gun, 1 Attached cavalry... (Base is Infantry, should have 4 infantry stands. Replace 1 infantry stand with Skirmishers to show 'Skirmish' advantage, 1 stand with gun to show attached artillery, 1 stand with cavalry to show 'Mixed')

Plan is Line Green, Skirmish White - I am working on the basis the Velites are the Skirmishers in my layout. Is this uniform schedule reasonable?

GNU PTerry

fsn

QuoteAS to Italian uniforms in 1812 - Italy wasn't a nation at the time, each state would be using a different uniform. You would need to search on Naples, Papal State etc....
Well, there was the Kingdom of Italy.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

QuoteAs to the Italians...

It appears Velites in White faced green, all other infantry Green faced white.
In 1806 the Kingdom of Italy moved to white coats. Light infantry was in green coats.
https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/2013/03/kingdom-of-italy-pt-1-line-and-light.html
http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infantry_Napoleon_3.htm#_Italian_troops
Have I missed a point?

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

When you say "velites" what do you mean? There were city velites and guard velites who were differently dressed.

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

fsn

Ah! The Italian Guard. Sorry. I thought you were talking line. In that case I withdraw my previous comments, with deepest apologies for any confusion.

The Conscript Guard were slightly different

Artillery

Last Hussar

Dear Italy.

Pick a uniform.

Stick to it.

Regards,
Wargamers

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

I'm going with the plan, line in green, skirmish in white, unless someone can say why wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

Bottom line:
  • Guard Grenadier Bttns: Bearskin, Green coats red facings, white trousers (French Gd Gren in a green coat)
  • Guard Velite Bttns: Bearskin, white coats faced green,white trousers
  • Conscript guard: Shako, green coat faced red, white trousers
  • Line Infantry Rgts: Shakos, white coats faced green and/or red, white trousers
  • Light Infantry Rgts: Shakos, green coats faced yellow, red ... depends on sources, green trousers