Hearts of Oak (well MDF...)

Started by Last Hussar, 09 January 2019, 08:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

So, 16 cannons done.

VI Corps partially done. These are the 2 Corps I have ready.

First Russian cannons by Last Hussar, on Flickr

2 and 4 Corps by Last Hussar, on Flickr

Another view by Last Hussar, on Flickr

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Good stuff, looks like you used gold on the cannon.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

12 strips of line finished today. I need to cut and base. Then I need to finish the command bases for them: I've painted jackets and trousers, but need to do packs, faces etc.

Bugger,  just remembered NOT finished- need to do cross belts.  Dawn and blast. 12 strips of 8.

GNU PTerry

sunjester

We need to get a game in with these. Work Faster!!!!! :d

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Last Hussar

Cross-belts and boots done on 96 men (12 strips of 8 ).

As is usual, end man of each strip cut off, the cuts painted green, and all based, 2 strips to a stand; the end men go behind to be officers etc.

Give it time for the PVA to go off, then silver on the bayonets.

That will be another 6 stands of line. Now need to crack on with the command strips, another 12 strips to finish  :'( . Once they are based I'll have VI Corps finished, a total of 131 Blucher points.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Decision made.

Next up after VI Corps will be the cavalry. I will paint 3 Cavalry Corps first, then 1 and 2.  The reason being that 3CC have 3 units, so a total of 54 horses, 1 and 2 two units=36 each, and it will be easier if I get the 'big' one out the way. For an actual game 1 and 2 might be one unit – need to check about Russian use of horse. 1 unit will be easier to command in 'Blucher'

Once the Horse are out the way, back to the PBI. This will be V Corps, which has the Grenadiers and Guard- same uniform, sillier plumes. 12 bases = 3 units – of Infantry, 1 of Artillery, 1 unit Cuirassiers.

All 6 Corps are STILL only 251 points out of 300, so I'll have to move onto IV Infantry (41 points)(12 Infantry, 3 artillery bases)

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Maths update.

I am wondering about 'Borodino' as a long term aim.

This is what I my arithmetic gets at 16 Infantry, 4 skirmish, 6 Cavalry, or gun and 4 crew, to a base;

French
43 bases Infantry (688 figures)
18 bases Skirmish (72 figures)
34 bases Cavalry (204 figures)
57 bases Artillery (228 figures)

1st Western Army
47 bases Infantry
24 bases Cavalry
33 Bases Artillery

2nd Western Army
43 bases Infantry
21 bases Cavalry
22 bases Artillery

Total Russian
90 bases Infantry (1440 figures)
45 bases Cavalry (270 figures)
55 bases Artillery (220 figures)
 :o

In case you are thinking "Hold on, the Russians didn't have twice the amount of infantry!" then you are right. It comes from how I lay out the units.

Rather than have dedicated based units as per most depictions of "Blucher", I have separate bases - each is 40x20mm, and has 16 Infantry/6 Cavalry/4 Skirmish/1 gun and crew. This means I can use them for other games.

A  unit in Blucher would be 4 infantry bases. However the French and most allies have 'Skirmish' advantage, so I replace 1 base with a skirmish base. Most of the French units have attached artillery (representing 12 or so guns) as well as the dedicated artillery units, so another base is replaced with an artillery stand. This means most of the French units at Borodino are 2 Infantry, 1 Skirmish, 1 Artillery. The Russians are mostly 4 Infantry - they represent the same amount of men (approx. 4,000) but the French have more capabilities, so some stands are subbed.

The Russians have SO MUCH artillery that you can't actually attach it all out in Blucher. An artillery base can be attached to an infantry unit, to enhance their shooting, or you can collect 3 together to make a unit; Russian Corps are 3 infantry units, 2 artillery, so you can attach 1 unit out and still have a unit.

The French are just as bad; their corps are along the lines of 6 Infantry - ALL with attached artillery - and a unit of artillery; 'only' 9 guns per 6 infantry, rather than 12 per 6 infantry for the Russians.

I'm going to have to order more artillery if I am to host Borodino...

GNU PTerry

fsn

That Sir, is over-thought, over-engineered and over-resourced.

I approve.

Congratulations.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

£2 for 96 infantry, £1.50 for 4 cannons - I can afford to over engineer!  ;D

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 30 April 2024, 02:07:12 PM£2 for 96 infantry, £1.50 for 4 cannons - I can afford to over engineer!  ;D

Its not the paying for it , its the painting it.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry

sunjester

I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier comment.....