The Hakuna-Matata Wars

Started by bigjackmac, 04 August 2016, 03:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

It is 4 March 1952, and the forces of Hakuna and Matata are once again clashing at the eastern border, along the Mashandane River.  Hakuna won the earlier battle, then both sides recoiled to regroup and reorganize.  But now it is 1030 local time, and two forces of equal size are racing towards each other, looking to breakthrough the frontier and push deep into enemy territory.

Hakuna Baltimores pounce on Matata SU-100s.

While all hell breaks loose on the Hakuna right flank, where Fireflies and T-34s burn mere yards from each other.  To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
http://hakunamatatawars.blogspot.com/2016/08/1952-war-ground-fight-2.html

Some very quick and fun fights, and we look forward to more!  That's all the batreps for now, though I do have a bunch of force stuff to post (all the Vietnam stuff lumped together in my Vietnam gaming post earlier this week).  Having lots of fun, but too many projects, and I'm already jonesing for some more 15mm modern skirmish action.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The boy nearly nearly had ya!  ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Quote from: bigjackmac on 23 August 2016, 10:27:13 PM
Thanks Lemmey!

Guess the rest of ya aren't too keen on aerial fights? ;)

I'll see if I can post the ground fight this evening.

V/R,
Jack

I dunno, it looked quite good! Lots of action :) Maybe caught us on a slow day ;)

Will have a read of the enxt land battle today.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

No, keep the aeroplanes coming. I like the photos as well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

bigjackmac

Thanks guys, glad you like the air and ground fights.  The boy had a rough time of it this go round, and Matata is being pushed back from the border.  We'll see if they can right the ship, or if a Hakuna blitzkrieg causes them to sue for peace.

Regarding the air fights, they will absolutely continue, I was just trying to figure out if I should post them together (like batrep #1) or separate (like this one).

V/R,
Jack

Leman

This reminds me of 20 years ago when my 7/8 year old son used to give me a rough time in Johnny Reb II games.

petercooman

I think the next one who has air superiority should go straight at the enemy AA with his tanks  ;D

Those things hit a lot!

Btw, where is your hex map from the last air report from?

toxicpixie

Jebus Peter that's proper combined arms air-land integrated battle space thinking! It's a great plan but if there's planes overhead EVERYONE should just duck, you all look alike from 500mph at 2000ft ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

bigjackmac

We're kind of playing it that going after the lone AA is unsporting; and the AAA has been surprisingly effective, getting only 1K and 1S die to shoot with.  I'm not sure what boardgame the hex maps came from, they were a gift from a used bookshop.

The boy has been having a rough time, but still having a good time and I'm sure my time will come...

V/R,
Jack

fsn

Just caught up on the dogfight.

Sounds pretty authentic. Damages but no downings.  Were both sets of pilots novices in actual combat?

Also you used two of my favourite planes.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Quote from: bigjackmac on 26 August 2016, 12:57:37 AM
We're kind of playing it that going after the lone AA is unsporting

War is never fair  ;)

But i see what you mean. Are the airplane strikes planned? or do they come in every turn?

bigjackmac

We play they are available every turn, but only for three air strikes.

What!!??  No fair play in war? ;)

V/R,
Jack

petercooman

Quote from: bigjackmac on 26 August 2016, 11:24:59 PM
We play they are available every turn, but only for three air strikes.

What!!??  No fair play in war? ;)

V/R,
Jack

Shocking isn't it  :o :o :o

Leman

which is one of the reasons I like unbalanced scenarios and chance cards - war isn't chess.

bigjackmac

Sorry FSN, somehow I missed your post.  Currently all pilots are rated regular.  As they get better they'll become vets, aces, and super aces (top aces in Lardies speak).  Replacements will come in as rookies (sprigs).  The fight was authentic, but I want kills, and game 2 did it up right for my dramatic flair for doing things.

Regarding fair, it's funny that so far all fights have had equal numbers on both sides.  That's not by design; each fight we roll dice for force composition, it's just been equal so far.  For example, the dogfights can be 2v2, 2v3, 3v3, 3v4, or 4v4.  The ground fights are set up similar, but with a min of 5 units and a max of 8.

V/R,
Jack