Painting times for 28mm v 12mm

Started by Norm, 30 June 2016, 07:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 12 July 2016, 09:41:53 AM
See what I mean? Moderators are in like a flash!

:P

Cheers - Phil

petercooman

Quote from: Norm on 12 July 2016, 11:13:31 AM
Peter, Glad you did not include a picture with the link as I would have refused to click on it :-)

The Warlord package looks pretty good to me for its money, but their boxes are not as complete as the Perry ACW battle box - I bought their Caesar / Gaul package and that has shields but no decal transfers - which of course you do get if you buy the individual boxes, I thought that was a real let down.  The soft back rule book will be welcome to some, but no doubt have smaller print.

Yes indeed, with the rulebook factored in, they seem like a good deal, but there is so much missing that it makes it not right for me (the command, but also the flags for example). Also if you factor in that i don't want to use black powder, it's really not my cup of tea. Off course, to each his own. I can see the set being great value if you use big units though, enanbling you to put the models in the box to use with your other regiments!

Norm

Yes, in that regard it seems to be confused as to whether it is a starter set or a cheap expansion set.

toxicpixie

On the blog closure - now I'm going to be listening to Cinderella's "Don't know what you got till it's gone" all afternoon :) Shame, it was an interesting read (even if I don't think I commented...). Always feel slightly wierd about commenting on blogs, as they're so much more personal feeling, as if I'm some odd random wierdo turning up in your living room. "Hi, you don't know me but I'm here to talk about <strike>Jesus</strike> 10mm T-34's and pointy sticks..."

Anyway, on scale - I've found 28mm's can be quick as quick if you're, errr, quick - undercoat/basecoat, block paint, wash, done. If you're being detailed on very detailed figures, then it's an age - what you can do fairly basically or impressionistically on smaller scale and let the eye draw the details when en mass actually has to be painted "properly". And there's more room for getting carried away...

Also, the Battle of Waterloo set is... weird. Not enough of anything for a battle for either side? Or is a minor sub-action part, where an understrength French Brigade sans guns supported by cavalry is going in against a combined British/Hanoverian brigade with mo cavalry but that does have artillery in support? I'd have thought two sets of "equal"-ish for each side would be better?!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Quote from: toxicpixie on 12 July 2016, 12:36:54 PM

Also, the Battle of Waterloo set is... weird. Not enough of anything for a battle for either side? Or is a minor sub-action part, where an understrength French Brigade sans guns supported by cavalry is going in against a combined British/Hanoverian brigade with mo cavalry but that does have artillery in support? I'd have thought two sets of "equal"-ish for each side would be better?!

Yes, they could have easily swapped the artillery for a box of warlord plastic hussars.

My guess is that they did it like that to have a bit of everything in the box to learn the rules (it is a starter set).

Ithoriel

Quote from: toxicpixie on 12 July 2016, 12:36:54 PM
On the blog closure - now I'm going to be listening to Cinderella's "Don't know what you got till it's gone" all afternoon :)

Only read the blog occasionally but liked what I read so yep ...

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Obsidian23

I think Norm really hit it on the head! ;)
Quote from: Norm on 12 July 2016, 11:41:07 AM
Yes, in that regard it seems to be confused as to whether it is a starter set or a cheap expansion set.

The box makes the perfect expansion set.  Allows for a lot of troops to add to your already built Battalions if you want to make them bigger.  Other than this I agree with the general consensus.  Its like making a chicken casserole and leaving out the chicken :D

I have the Perry ACW box and it is the perfect starter set.  It has the perfect balance and mix of troop types, terrain (house) etc to get anyone well started if they are new to the ACW period.

anyway, my 2c or if your in Canada I owe you money for the comment!

petercooman

Indeed, the perry box looks great!

The warlord one only really needs command figures, the terrain is not crucial to a starter box in my opinion.

toxicpixie

Yeah, a few command figures for each unit would be nice... especially as they've included a nice "C-in-C" figure for each side!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Quote from: toxicpixie on 13 July 2016, 01:17:52 PM
Yeah, a few command figures for each unit would be nice... especially as they've included a nice "C-in-C" figure for each side!

might be an idea to buy a box of victrix for each side. I think those come with 12 command models  :-\

toxicpixie

That'd be nicely workable, I assume they're in scale/style!

Not that I want any 28mm Nappies, but it's nice to talk :D

petercooman

13 July 2016, 03:53:57 PM #26 Last Edit: 13 July 2016, 04:02:45 PM by petercooman
I want nappies, i am just choosing scales  :D

I must add that i just started painting 10 british infantrymen in belgic shako from warlord, like the ones in that starter set. I have started at 11 today, and have put about an hour and a half of time in so far, and i just have to do the piping,metal bits, skin, hair and the regimental colour on the collar and cuffs and they are finished. (apart from the backpacks, i paint these separately)

nikharwood

petercooman

In the words of master Yoda, 'want, i do, pay , i cannot'    ;D ;D

FierceKitty

"No cannot is there. Buy, or buy more."
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.