Painting times for 28mm v 12mm

Started by Norm, 30 June 2016, 07:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Blog post regarding the difference in painting times between the larger and smaller figure scales.

Link

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/painting%20figures

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Well argued Norm.
I prefer 10mm for the mass effect.  :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Won't find many dissenting opinions here.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Generally my preference for 28mm figures is for skirmish level games.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Depends on the troops being painted obviously, I can paint a 28mm scale Sumerian faster than a 10mm Napoleonic Voltigeur, but by and large it takes more time to fill an equivalent base size as I go down in scale.

40x20mm is a base size I use a lot. It would hold 2 28mm scale, 4-6 15mm, 8-12 10mm, 20-30 6mm. Fewer, of course, for more modern periods where troop density drops. WW2 bases would have about half that number, for example.

Prep time is longer for the smaller figure, undercoating pretty much the same, painting and tidy-up greater for the smaller figure, basing time is substantially longer for smaller figures, like undercoating varnishing time is much the same regardless as it's done with spray cans.

I use 28mm only for RPGs, 15mm for skirmish, 10mm primarily for Fantasy and WW2 big battle and 6mm for Ancients to Napoleonic big battle.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

As this was your last blog post before you announced a 'blog retirement',i just want to say i'm sad to see it end!

I really iked your blog posts, and i think i followed every link you put on here. (i actually found out about the end of your blog because i came back to this post to re-read your article and check out your 28 mm basing. Still can't decide wich way to go for my nappies)

Thanks for the hard work!

paulr

Norm, I found the entire TMP thread on links to blogs bizarre

I have been an occasional and always interested visitor to your blog but not a commenter, apologises if this left you feeling unappreciated.

I hope you reallocation of hobby time lets you enjoy the hobby more
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

Thanks gents, I really don't mind about comments being left or not - I saw red because for the first time I realised there was a group, probably of significant enough size that simply couldn't be bothered to click on a link and had the temerity to suggest I was a lazy blogger because I didn't put pictures in links (to help them think presumably) - not commenting is one thing, but to be called lazy by someone who can't even be bothered to click on a link is just something else. I tend to run the blog for others, rather than it simply being a shorthand  place to record my own games for my own pleasure and so the work and effort involved is a fair distraction from others things I could be doing - no doubt I took it all a bit personally.  

I was probably hasty in letting a part of the Internet that I should ignore, get under my skin, but a decision is a decision. I will keep some content going at the Commanders website.

Peter, the only Napoleonics I have based (and I like it) for 28's  are units of 18 on 3 bases in two ranks of three. The bases are 50mm wide by 40mm deep.This gives enough room for the figure to breathe, while giving a bit of a mass effect. I bought Austrians ..... A lot easier to paint than your Hanovarians :-)

Again thanks - I really like this forum, conduct is always so gentlemanly and friendly.

petercooman

The internet can be summed up in two pictures:

Don't let them get to you!

On napoleonics:

The hanoverians where something i had lying about, and just a test to see if i liked painting them at this scale, and how fast they would go. I am mostly interested in Russians.My gaming buddy already has austrians (from victrix), so they would complement each other quite nicely.

I am still not sure if i will go 28 mm though, as i am sorely tempted by 15mm (the only scale i have never used for any project)

I need 4 base-units though, so was looking at either 24 men on 4times 50 X40 like you, or 16 on 4 times 40 x 40 for 28mm or on 30 x 30 bases for 15 mm.

ideally i would go with pendraken, but there is some stuff missing from the range, and as long as i can't find decent comparison pics to complement with other manufacturers i'm gonna skip that. (and i don't like the pose of those russians, seems awkward. Sill looking for clear pics of the other poses though)

The main thing keeping me back, is that i also have a small gaming space, and i feel that 28mm would look too cramped. The table is 7 feet long, so that's good, but it is only 3 feet and 2 inches wide, so that limits me somewhat. And i really don't have the space to go bigger!

petercooman

I must say that i got my hopes up for this:

http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/napoleonic-british/products/waterloo-black-powder-starter-set

(no picture just a link, but i hope you will click it  ;D )

Could have been a promising start, but the fact it only contains rank and file and no command minis makes it completely worthless to me. You can't even buy the hanoverian or french command separately from warlord, so why bother making a set that has no command figures? And the british command, wich they do sell separately, costs 10£ per set. So, pretending they would make them all available separately, you'd be looking at 50£ in command minis. I think it's their way of saying: go buy perry plastic command sprues for your minis  ;D ;D

Also, warlord games seems to act as there was nothing besides the battle of waterloo. I checked their russian items, and unless you only want infatry and cannons, you are not getting what you need from them. At least you can get cavalry at the perry twins' site.

Still hoping they do a battle in a box napoleonic style!!!!!!!

fsn

Must confess I haven't read your latest bog, and to be honest I tend not to comment on blogs anyway. Perhaps you'll find the urge to blog again. 

Quote from: Norm on 12 July 2016, 07:21:48 AM
Again thanks - I really like this forum, conduct is always so gentlemanly and friendly.
Yes. Worrying, isn't it?

I blame the moderators. They do a good job keeping the forum on track. It does mean that I can't even say that Westmarcher is a
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

See what I mean? Moderators are in like a flash!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

FierceKitty

Norm

Peter, Glad you did not include a picture with the link as I would have refused to click on it :-)

The Warlord package looks pretty good to me for its money, but their boxes are not as complete as the Perry ACW battle box - I bought their Caesar / Gaul package and that has shields but no decal transfers - which of course you do get if you buy the individual boxes, I thought that was a real let down.  The soft back rule book will be welcome to some, but no doubt have smaller print.