The hole dug deeper...

Started by Wulf, 11 January 2016, 03:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Undoubtedly so. I only want a Deacon because, as noted above, I used to be a member of the MAFVA, and one of the vehicles I scratch built (well, almost, using an Airfix Matador truck chassis & 6 pounder gun) from the scale plans in the magazine was a Deacon - built from postcards!

The IS3/JS3 is one of the tanks for my 'World of Tanks' project, however.

Wulf

And they arrive today, everything looking crisp & new & (some of it) shiny. Haven't had a chance to go through it in detail, that's a weekend job, but it's all good. A couple of first glance observations...

A very heavy box, and a very asymmetrically loaded one. If it was square when it left Pendraken, it sure wasn't when it got here... the packing worked a treat though!

The Railway gun is heavy enough to class as a personal weapon. Funny, I had imagined it would be resin... Needs a bit of detailing, I must find some naval modelling railings.

I may have ordered a few too many cordwood stacks... a lot too many... Speaking of which, why the hell did I order two wooden bridges? I'll never use both... will I?

The Deacon is very nice & sharply moulded, but the wheels look sadly underdetailed...

The JS-3 is a beauty, but there's a hole moulded in the turret top just behind the commander's hatch that looks like it's meant to take a pintle mount or the like. None was supplied, none is visible on the pic in the Pendraken website, should there be one? Or else, what's the hole for?

The Dragon's Teeth & bunkers look great. I may need more...

All good stuff, and it'll get a closer study at the weekend.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Wulf on 14 January 2016, 01:37:15 PM
Undoubtedly so. I only want a Deacon because, as noted above, I used to be a member of the MAFVA, and one of the vehicles I scratch built (well, almost, using an Airfix Matador truck chassis & 6 pounder gun) from the scale plans in the magazine was a Deacon - built from postcards!

Quote from: Wulf on 28 January 2016, 11:08:40 PM
The Deacon is very nice & sharply moulded, but the wheels look sadly underdetailed...

Yeah, I really like the Deacon for its quirky, boxiness  :D

I'm painting one for the competition, but can't find any pictures which show what they'd have in terms of markings and/or insignia.  To be honest, even the colour/camo scheme is quite ambiguous.  Any ideas what might be appropriate.  I've gone for a flat khaki/sand look so far.

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Wulf

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 29 January 2016, 10:41:28 AM
I'm painting one for the competition, but can't find any pictures which show what they'd have in terms of markings and/or insignia.  To be honest, even the colour/camo scheme is quite ambiguous.  Any ideas what might be appropriate.  I've gone for a flat khaki/sand look so far.
I think that was about it, it was pretty much an 'emergency' vehicle, just one step up from a Portee. There wasn't much imagination in paint schemes then, you could go for a sand with tan 'blotches' scheme, possibly even the sand with black/grey (it weathered quickly) 'Mickey Mouse ears' scheme, I very much doubt they used the dazzle stripes.