Bannockburn 1314 - Osprey

Started by Norm, 26 May 2014, 07:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

This book from the Osprey Campaign series is presently on offer for just 99p for the Kindle at Amazon UK.

fsn

And a mighty good read it is too!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Good spot, purchased and already started reading.

I was interested to see how the Osprey format works on Kindle on an iPad. Mostly it's great, the text, photographs and even the colour plates all are presented very nicely. The only problem is the maps - these have been presented in multiple parts (usually 6) and this lets you see the detail very clearly, what it doesn't do is let you get an overall view. It would have been better to have a single high resolution image that you can zoom into to read details.

I might be screen shotting the map pages on my computer and joining them back together.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

"Those days are passed now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

cameronian

Angus Konstam, keen wargamer and historical author, has just published his own book on Bannockburn, damn good read too.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Norm

Fred, the iPad is good for eBooks, but the split map idea was designed for the big audience who use black and white e-ink Kindles. I have the paper white, which does allow zoom, so that helps. For the most part I use the Kindle and only refer to the iPad if I particularly want colour  or higher resolution.