10mm game on hexes on small table

Started by Norm, 04 May 2014, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

I think it depends largely on whether you use the hexes as "movement limiters" or, as we do, simply ignore them except as elements of the terrain. Personally, I'm not sure I could play the hexes as a giant boardgame, but with free movement the brain just paints them out. 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Very nice blog Norm.
Cheers - Phil.

Norm

I have added a brief overview of a re-run of that scenario before making changes, please see the last part of the post (under the sub-heading 'substantial edit'). I enjoyed the second game more than the first.

Link http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/10mm-hex-based-wwii-aar.html#more

Norm

There are now 4 substantial edits to the bottom of the post which show the evolution of the scenario through play-testing. plus along the way, the rules have had some firm tweaking, giving a better result on the most recent game.

Wulf

As far as C&C & Memoir44 games go, the ones on BGG who like the figures are usually Ameritrash players who want to add miniatures 'bling' to everything. Just look at Kickstarter projects - There's a sure fire way to make a fortume on Kickstarter:

1) Include miniatures
2) sit back & watch the money roll in.

Hexes are a different matter - I primarily play hex wargames anyway, but if I play with toy soldiers I find them intrusive.

Norm

I think we are just starting to see a small cross over between traditional board gamers, traditional miniaturists and Euro gamers.

I am hopeful that family centred games that have figures may just help the world of figure gaming to infiltrate into more peoples lives. You just need a trigger to press the right buttons and turn a brief acquaintance into a lifetime passion.

kipt

OK, what is a "Euro" gamer?  Being in California and about as far away from Europe as I can get (sending this from Pasadena) I haven't heard this term before.

Ithoriel

Euro games - things like Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Tigris and Euphrates or Power Grid. There are lots of others.

They tend to be family oriented, not overtly military, all players remain in game throughout and reasonably fast and simple to play.

Usually a fair bit of interaction, though often no way to directly damage opponents.

Usually more strategy and less luck dependent.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Hexes say to me "operational level" for a game, so it's interesting to read you reports at 1:1/skirmish level using them! Dunno why it feels that way so much, as I play and like PBI which uses squares at a 1:1 figure scale!

Keep posting, I enjoy watching rules develop :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Hertsblue

Quote from: Ithoriel on 05 June 2014, 05:51:24 PM
Euro games - things like Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Tigris and Euphrates or Power Grid. There are lots of others.

They tend to be family oriented, not overtly military, all players remain in game throughout and reasonably fast and simple to play.

Usually a fair bit of interaction, though often no way to directly damage opponents.

Usually more strategy and less luck dependent.

I play the first two frequently but never realised I was a "Euro Gamer". And if you think they're not luck-dependent you've never rolled a die in anger - that's my excuse for losing anyway.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Ithoriel

Also often referred to as German-style games, it's not that there's no element of luck just that it's less prevalent than in the likes of the traditional Waddington's games.

I play far more board games than figure games these days so I suppose I've picked up the jargon.

Just bought La Citta, Mousquetaires Du Roy, Priests of Ra and Vasco Da Gama for £9.99 each from The Works online Rio Grande Games sale. These would all count as Eurogames

I hate to think how many games we have between the ten of us who game together regularly.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Wulf

The usual definition of a Euro/German game is that there's no direct conflict between players. They may compete for limited resources, or may temporarily take control of a nutral/opposition party (like the thief in Catan), but they do not attack one another.

bradpitre

Hello!

I allow myself this little intervention is too a big fan of hexagons, taking a little time, little things to make nice eyes that are even more realistic than-conventional roads slick with gondollent and move all the time , rivers above the levels of the battlefield, and the hills that I have never seen in nature .......
and not to mention the many benefits during the games, more discution mm and angle of orientation, placement or type of land .........

Here are some pictures of my land in progress:

éric
je suis contre les femmes............tout contre!!!!

2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!

Norm

07 June 2014, 07:00:05 AM #28 Last Edit: 07 June 2014, 07:02:54 AM by Norm
That is just lovely, thanks for sharing. Did you make the small walled farm yourself?

I like the idea of the tray to contain the game, it looks good, while serving the obvious purpose of locking the styrene hexes into place.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Superb terrain. As long as it looks good I don't mind how a game is fought, hexes, squares, or blank, the idea is to fight and enjoy.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner