10mm game on hexes on small table

Started by Norm, 04 May 2014, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I have recently been blogging about putting a game onto a pinboard, those blogs have culminated in my first pinboard game, using Kallistra 4" hexes and home brew rules. here is the link for those interested. http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/10mm-hex-based-wwii-aar.html#more

Steve J

Looking good so far Norm and I liked the write up a lot :).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great idea for a blog Norman. Like it a lot.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

04 May 2014, 08:28:11 AM #3 Last Edit: 04 May 2014, 08:30:03 AM by Fenton
Good work Norm  nice stuff

Nice blog as well, nice to see one with a readable font as well
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Subedai

Looking at the pic at the top, it seems to be coming along nicely.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

petercooman

Looking good!

Callistra hexon is great!

Luddite

Good looking game there Norm, and nice blog too.

Have you considered using Squad Leader rules?  http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243/advanced-squad-leader
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Ithoriel

Have to say my first thought was "Ooh! Memoir '44"

Does look good right enough.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Norm

Thanks all. I have a strong nostalgic connection with Squad Leader (basic  from 1977 ) and would love MMP just to redo 4th Edition with super graphics - but I know that is never going to happen.

Central to my small set up is keeping the movement rates tightly controlled and SL with 4 to 6 MP's seems to need at least one full sized board to 'breathe' properly.

I had looked at Ghost Panzer for conversion, but that also needs quite a bit of hex space.

FierceKitty

My eyes and mind can't accept hex terrain as a substitute for reality. Not trying to convert anyone else, or denigrate others' efforts, I must add.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Norm

I think how the eye / brain visualises the tabletop is essential to enjoyment.

I have been a life long boardgamer, so to me the hexes are subconsciously invisible. I just find myself reading the battlefield in a natural way, but I can fully appreciate that some gamers cannot get past the aesthetics of the hex. I have just bought a boardgame that only has the corners of each hex represented, the idea being that there is less hex on the board so the hex is less obtrusive, however to my 'eyes, it just looks like someone has thrown a load of caltrops across the map, because it is new to my visual appreciation and looks too obvious.

Without trying to 'sell' the hex, it removes the need to measure (all done by eyeball), it defines the location exactly - so that hex is woodland and the figure is in woodland regardless of what position it is in - so no millimetre precision when placing and moving units. Also a defined location means that things like blast areas for artillery are easier to calculate, removing the need for blast templates. Indeed, all templates go, no fire angle templates or wheeling templates or armour perspective templates etc.

But I agree, it will unlikely look a thing of beauty, but then in truth few games really are.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Norm on 05 May 2014, 05:53:22 AM

But I agree, it will unlikely look a thing of beauty, but then in truth few games really are.

You clearly haven't seen my armies in action! ;)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

I like the idea of hexes, and the Kallistra stuff is nice but cost always puts me off as does the very obvious join between hexes. I'm quite happy with Peter Pigs grid square approach on PBI, Squarebashing etc though, either marked on cloth or using "corner markings" and plonking down "terrain markers" for them (I find telegraph poles are great for a couple of lines of corners!). So I dunno why hexes rub me the wrong way  :-\
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Subedai

Quote from: toxicpixie on 05 May 2014, 09:12:04 AM
I like the idea of hexes, and the Kallistra stuff is nice but cost always puts me off as does the very obvious join between hexes. I'm quite happy with Peter Pigs grid square approach on PBI, Squarebashing etc though, either marked on cloth or using "corner markings" and plonking down "terrain markers" for them (I find telegraph poles are great for a couple of lines of corners!). So I dunno why hexes rub me the wrong way  :-\

I agree completely about hexes but also about grid markings. To my mind it's a little too rigid and therefore too much like chess -everywhere I look I see the lines. But in saying that, the Kohima game put on by Hertsblue and his club at Cavalier was very impressive. Also, another mental thing is that I was weaned on large scale club games in Southend in the early '70's and that initial impression has stuck with me ever since. I'm not a great lover of boardgames either, again too regimented (pun intended). But as you say, each to his own.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Norm

Judging from some TMP post, Memoire '44 and Commands and Colors games seem to be giving a cross over point for figure and hex fans, though I am not sure whether the people doing that are mainly boardgamers wanting a 'prettier' look to their game, or figure gamers wanting to use their armies in these more 'euro' centric game systems - perhaps a mix of both.

Interestingly, the boardgame scene and the associated hex is dominated by the U.S. market / production, yet on the figures side, the shipping costs of getting the Kallistra product into the U.S. seems to have made the hex for figures have more of a European uptake.

The popularity of Martin's PBI rules and his other 'square' related rules is also linked to the fact that the games are intended to be played on relatively small tables with smaller armies and it is easier to make a home made square grid than a home made hex grid.