Barkerese

Started by FierceKitty, 23 April 2014, 10:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Having read Little Dorrit for A levels, I can confirm that this book is hard work and not fun to read. The tele versions are much more digestable IMHO.

FierceKitty

He might have written better had he written less; he's got his weaknesses, as who has not, and if I were a woman I'd certainly want to explain a few things to him over the head with a half-brick in a sock, but at his best he's dazzling. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to shoot at me, since I'm confident he'll shoot his own nose off trying to hit me.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steeleye

The only thing more boring than Dickens is the Brontes.

Just what were the exam boards thinking, were they trying to put people off reading books for life?

I had to read 'Wuthering Heights' for my GCE 'O' level English Literature exam...all I can say is thank god for Asimov and Heinlein!

Hertsblue

I read most of his books in my twenties and enjoyed them. Considering he was writing "part works" he kept it together brilliantly. And no, I didn't know him personally...
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

I notice, with utter incredulity, Govey's latest plan to put kids off reading with a diet of Bronte, Dickens, Hardy, Shakespeare et al. Is this all part of a cunning plan by the Tories to actually increase the number of illiterate people in this country so that there will be fewer who have the wherewithall to challenge them for power? 
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hussargeneral

Funny you should say that, I was thinking the same thing.  :-\ Dumb them down and they won't question too much.
In Zambia, several years ago, the ruling party decided on the symbols to be used for each party in the elections, strangely enough in parts of the country they were represented by a Lion or an Elephant on the ballot paper while the opposition were a Chameleon ( a very bad sign to rural Africans) or Baboon.
In South Africa a party called the Soccer party got 5% of the total votes cast in the Eastern Cape (and due to Proportional representation a couple of seats) because their symbol was a football! ;D They had no policies or ideas, just wanted the fat cheque for winning a seat.
Democracy at its best  ;)

Hertsblue

Quote from: Hussargeneral on 12 June 2014, 03:13:36 PM
Funny you should say that, I was thinking the same thing.  :-\ Dumb them down and they won't question too much.

Dickens, Shakespeare et al is dumbing down?  :o :o :o I don't think so.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

No it isn't if you have had a relatively privileged upbringing with parents who understand how to support and nurture a child's education. If, like me , you were lucky enough to get into a grammar school, and the complete works of Shakespeare was on the family bookshelf, then A Midsummer Night's Dream, Macbeth (quite keen on Scottish independence) and Twelfth Night were quite good fun. I then went on to teach in comprehensive schools where the majority of pupils did not enjoy the background advantages that I had. It was the likes of Kes and The Lord of the Flies that got these children interested in reading. Dickens came alive thanks to the likes of Alec Guinness on film, but reading it left them cold. I have great faith in English teachers who will find ways of gripping the children with literature despite Gove's best (worst?) efforts.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Hussargeneral

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 12 June 2014, 12:48:02 PM
I notice, with utter incredulity, Govey's latest plan to put kids off reading with a diet of Bronte, Dickens, Hardy, Shakespeare et al. Is this all part of a cunning plan by the Tories to actually increase the number of illiterate people in this country so that there will be fewer who have the wherewithall to challenge them for power? 
Hertsblue it was in response to the above.
One mans classic etc etc.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Hussargeneral on 12 June 2014, 03:13:36 PM
In Zambia, several years ago, the ruling party decided on the symbols to be used for each party in the elections, strangely enough in parts of the country they were represented by a Lion or an Elephant on the ballot paper while the opposition were a Chameleon ( a very bad sign to rural Africans) or Baboon.
In South Africa a party called the Soccer party got 5% of the total votes cast in the Eastern Cape (and due to Proportional representation a couple of seats) because their symbol was a football! ;D They had no policies or ideas, just wanted the fat cheque for winning a seat.
Democracy at its best  ;)

Remember la Cicciolina in Italian politics? I'd have cast my vote for her myself.

Hussargeneral

;D Oh Yeah !! I'd vote twice!!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Hussargeneral on 13 June 2014, 04:04:16 PM
;D Oh Yeah !! I'd vote twice!!
You will go far in life until you get caught, youngster.

DanJ

QuoteYou will go far in life until you get caught, youngster

Many years ago a couple of chaps I knew decided to 'have a laugh' and voted either twice or using each others names ( can't remember which) but they were caught and got into a lot of trouble, a large fine and I think they were disenfranchised for a while.

SV52

When all the carpers have written a classic novel like 'A Tale of Two Cities', or a set of wargame rules which have influenced gamers on a world-wide basis for years I may give the criticisms voiced some credence.
I hope the previous sentence wasn't too long for any of you to understand. :o :P ;) :D

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

cameronian

Just ordered 'Moon over Malaya', account of Col Stewart's superb 2nd Batt A&SH and their fighting retreat to Singapore. I've read the official history - which is very good - but for some reason I missed this.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.