Cossacks

Started by OldenBUA, 20 February 2014, 05:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldenBUA

The start of my Cossacks for By Fire and Sword. 15mm miniatures from wargamer.pl More pictures on my Photobucket.

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

petercooman

Very nice!!!

The unmounted guy with the 2 sword looks tough  :ar!

OldenBUA

Yes, that's one of the 'Skirmishers'. They all look very much like pirates.  :ar!  The one in front of that guy is holding a sword pointed straight forward, but he's also holding a dagger behind his back.  :o

They do capture the nature of the looting/plundering expeditions of the Zaporizhian Cossacks. Could use some Cossack boats (Chaika) for them, though.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

FierceKitty

Quote from: OldenBUA on 20 February 2014, 08:11:32 PM
They all look very much like pirates. 

They often were pirates.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

nikharwood

Very nicely done, OldenBUA  8)

Hertsblue

Oh, I like them, OBUA. The standards are particularly fine.  :-bd :-bd :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

I haven't mentioned how nifty they look, nor yet how glad I am that one or two other people are giving the Cossacks a go. Always a fun army.

OldenBUA

Quote from: Hertsblue on 21 February 2014, 11:13:36 AM
Oh, I like them, OBUA. The standards are particularly fine.  :-bd :-bd :-bd

:-[ They are just the sticky paper ones that come with the figures. But they do look nice, and while maybe not 100% accurate are based on historical examples.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 February 2014, 11:17:53 AM
I haven't mentioned how nifty they look, nor yet how glad I am that one or two other people are giving the Cossacks a go. Always a fun army.

Yes, they are fun. And by the way, so far you've only vaguely hinted what codes you have used for your Pendraken Cossack army. Any pointers? It would be appreciated.

Quote from: petercooman on 21 February 2014, 03:12:35 PM
If you have too much money

No I don't. It looks like a nice model, and in the right scale. But for me it's too expensive and probably too detailed for wargaming purposes.

Aander lu bin óók lu.

FierceKitty

I went into some detail somewhere. But to recap:
ELM 12 Bonnacht axeman - needs his hair converted to a "pumpkin cap" with a blob of glue.
P 6 Polish peasant archer
P 12 mounted Cossack
P7 Cossack foot axeman (lovely figure - I wish there were more variants in pose, however)
SAM 11 Japanese peasant with IPW - converts to an acceptable drummer
SAM 12 Japanese peasant with matchlock - ten seconds to file off the topknot and he's ready for a new identity

and a number of Irregular Miniatures figures too: they make a musketeer, a 17th-century dragoon on a cap, an axeman (rather a stilted figure; I use just a few for variety), and a good pikeman.  I think they also have a figure with a flail, but it's not really rewarding.

Kallistra do a number of impaled figures, if you want the ugly side of the great rebellion.

There have been a number of posts about waggons recently; converting a few to battle-waggons is easy and fun.

Be advised that the Pendraken figure advertised as a "Cossack pancerni" is in fact a pancerni Cossack, and not from the Ukraine. I'm also puzzled by the advertised Polish musketeer in a "fir cap"; made from cones?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

OldenBUA

Thanks for that info FK. I do remember seeing some of that info before. But I guess I was thinking that there would be more suitable codes.  :-\

Aander lu bin óók lu.

FierceKitty

There are enough to make up a pretty army, never fear.

OldenBUA

The current state of this project. More troops (mounted and on foot), a subcommander and some wagons have been added.

And while I still have more Cossacks to paint, and Tatars as well, I've now moved on to the 10mm Polish and Swedish forces. I'm quite impressed with the level of detail on those, but I don't know if I can do them justice. Hopefully I'll have some more pictures for you at a later date. But it may be a while.   :-SS

Aander lu bin óók lu.