Help for a newcomer!!!!!

Started by hellhammer09, 04 April 2014, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

I seem to be alone on this one, but I don't like flocked bases unless the playing surface is textured to match. It just looks silly to have troops standing on little grassy rectangles on a bare surface.

Not to deny that it looks super on a flocked-finish cloth, if you go to the trouble of getting one.

(Oh, and welcome aboard. Where are my manners? I think I put them down somewhere around here....)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

Basing I use 40 x20 bases for warmaster

I vary the number of figures on a base to help tell the troops apart so:-

Roman legionaries - 2 ranks of 5
Roman Auxilaries - 2 ranks of 4
Light cavalry 2 figures
Cavalry 3 figures
Heavy cavalry 4 figures
Light infantry / skirmishers 3-5 randomly placed figures
Warband 7 randomly placed figures
Bowmen 4 in front rank 3 iin rear rank

As for the diarama type bases i am really impressed by some of the forium members, but I don't have time to do that so they just get some rocks, tuft of grass or a bush if they are lucky
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I put whatever feels right on my bases, and with 10mm they all can make mini dioramas so easily. For instance my Later Romans get a solid rank, then a few extras doing stuff in front!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

I think Mr Hammer, you're finding that within this Forum a number of different opinions, and everyone is right. Fierce Kitty doesn't like flocked bases - I hate diorama, cluttered bases - especially those with magic walls that move with the troops. 

The lesson here is experiment and find your own style.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

06 April 2014, 01:25:53 PM #19 Last Edit: 06 April 2014, 01:39:18 PM by Ithoriel
Quote from: fsn on 06 April 2014, 07:58:58 AM
I hate diorama, cluttered bases - especially those with magic walls that move with the troops.  

A wall, sir! Here we go, sir. One Wall, portable, Mark III, infantry and observers for the use of, sir!! <sigh> Please try and bring it back in one piece this time, sir!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Does this one have a door in it? Or at least a window!

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Ithoriel

I was going for the "distressed" garden wall look with that one.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

You'd not be keen on these then?

Or these?

They are meant for BUA fighting - so the rest got grass

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

Sorry, not to my taste. They look good as vignettes, but I just imagine the poor sods having to lug Vickers gun, ammo, water and a wall around with them.

FierceKitty

They'd look good with Pinkerton's agents behind them.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hertsblue

Quote from: fsn on 06 April 2014, 08:23:29 PM
Sorry, not to my taste. They look good as vignettes, but I just imagine the poor sods having to lug Vickers gun, ammo, water and a wall around with them.

Aren't all basings vignettes, to a greater or lesser extent? Even adding texturing could be construed as over-elaboration. I don't suppose anyone would want a return to the green-painted cardboard of the seventies. 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

Fair point, Ray.
Cheers - Phil

Fenton

Quote from: Techno on 07 April 2014, 08:24:34 AM
Fair point, Ray.
Cheers - Phil

But I still have 40 gallons of Britains Green and a 1000 cornflake packets waiting to be cut up
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

Oooh! Could I swap you a CCOC for some Britain's Green?

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 07 April 2014, 10:34:29 AM
Oooh! Could I swap you a CCOC for some Britain's Green?

Don't you have any use for you COCC any more FSN

I Know you are divorced, but that should mean for getting more use out of your COCC, with different models if your lucky.

Hot Tip:-  Get your daughter to bring lots of female freinds home from uni to visit this summer - one of them is bound to take pity on be interested in a father figure. :d :d :d.  If this happens you need the BLUE pills ;) ;)

At worst you get lets of part dressed totty walking round the house.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson