Things I wish my mother had told me when I started painting soldiers

Started by FierceKitty, 12 February 2014, 04:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Quote from: Ithoriel on 12 February 2014, 10:50:46 AM
Daub Errata

Paint placidly amid the noise and haste, and make the most of whatever passes for silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with spouses, parents, pets and children.

Pass on tips quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their insights.

Avoid power gamers, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser painters than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own armies, however humble; they are a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution on EBay; for it is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strike surprising deals; and everywhere there are bargains.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Especially, do not feign an interest. Neither be cynical about production schedules; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment sooner or later someone will make a model of it in a scale you want.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth; eyesight, steady hands ....

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many botched paint jobs are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of Pendraken, no less than Techno, Nik or Fenton ; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Pendraken figure ranges are unfolding as they should. Therefore be at peace with Leon, whatever you conceive him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep pace with your purchases.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to paint something.

<Sorry Max>

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

get2grips

Quote from: Shecky on 12 February 2014, 04:48:29 AM
Don't start painting any new figures until all the current batch is painted, based AND flocked.

Quote from: Fenton on 12 February 2014, 10:44:50 AM
May the rest of the wargaming world forgive you for your heretical  and blasphemous words

No one is to throw anything until I blow this whistle; not even and I want to make this absolutely clear, not even if they say flocked..."

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

get2grips

Can a moderator please merge this with the forum bar-fight?

My bad :-[ :-[ :-[

Nosher

I wish my mum had been honest and told me how unlikely it would be that I would meet a girl who would find wargaming cool and wargamers as sexually desirable objects ;D ;D
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

paulr

Quote from: Shecky on 12 February 2014, 04:48:29 AM
3. If you want to paint but only have 30 minutes, then paint. You don't need to set aside a block of hours to paint. Otherwise I'd never find time to paint.

Thanks Sheky great advice at just the right time for me

Grabbed 30 minutes doing packs & muskets on my current batch before I headed of to work this morning. Great way to start the day  :)

Also got me started again on this batch which had stalled a little due to real life stuff. Will hopefully finish the rest of the packs & muskets tonight
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: get2grips on 12 February 2014, 10:53:13 AM
No one is to throw anything until I blow this whistle; not even and I want to make this absolutely clear, not even if they say flocked..."

Reading the forum on the train into work this morning

People looking at me strangely as I  ;D ;D ;D after reading this

paulr

Daub Errata

Paint placidly amid the noise and haste, and make the most of whatever passes for silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with spouses, parents, pets and children.

Pass on tips quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their insights.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser painters than yourself.

Keep interested in your own armies, however humble; they are a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution on EBay; for it is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strike surprising deals; and everywhere there are bargains.

Especially, do not feign an interest. Neither be cynical about production schedules; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment sooner or later someone will make a model of it in a scale you want.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth; eyesight, steady hands ....

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many botched paint jobs are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of Pendraken, no less than Techno, Nik or Fenton ; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Pendraken figure ranges are unfolding as they should. Therefore be at peace with Leon, whatever you conceive him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep pace with your purchases.

Be cheerful.

<Sorry Max>

Thank you, this has lifted my spirits  :) :) :)

Last Hussar

I paint flesh last.  Mostly because I paint it brown first, then try a wet dry-brush.  This is also betterif you paint the spear/musket first, the the hands- you aren't trying to paint between anything.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Nosher on 12 February 2014, 11:22:25 AM
I wish my mum had been honest and told me how unlikely it would be that I would meet a girl who would find wargaming cool and wargamers as sexually desirable objects ;D ;D

I did!  :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shecky

Quote from: fsn on 12 February 2014, 08:34:02 AM
Tried that. Didn't work on my Sherman Firefly.

You have to open the hatch first in order to paint the crew  ;D

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Daub Errata

Be cheerful.

<Sorry Max>

Excellent, Ithy.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr.Falkenhayn

1.Thin your Paint
2.Thin your Paint even more!!!
3.Avoid Metallics whenever you can-use a seperate Brush/Water for Metallics
4.Never ever use a Black Primer for 10mm,not even if you paint Ninjas in Black Dresses
5.Drybrushing has become a  no no in 2014 ( :P)
6.Don't use the same Static Grass as for 28mm Scale-Man sized Grass just looks silly  :-\
7.Never use Grey for highlighting Black Paint,mix it with Blue,Turquoise or Green,anything but Grey...
8.GW is the Devil

Hi Mom!  :D
Halt die Ohren steif!

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!