Things I wish my mother had told me when I started painting soldiers

Started by FierceKitty, 12 February 2014, 04:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

1)     Start with faces and hands. You'll inevitably muck the surrounding colours up when you paint them otherwise.
2)     Don't set deadlines; you'll just feel bad about not meeting them. The secret is to paint a bit every day, however small.
3)     Listen to opera when you paint. Unless it's the American war in Vietnam, which demands thumping and mumbling rock of the most brain-rotting species.
4)     Keep your working surface cat-free. Also explain to wives and lovers that advance notice is required before sudden hugs from behind.
5)     Always keep a few horses handy to use up leftover nondescript brown and gray shades.
6)     Marker pens can do a very good job on reins, belts, tartans, mottoes on banners, shields.
7)     Piero della Francesca was a fresco painter. Don't try to paint small figures to the same standard.

Your contributions, comrades-in-arms.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Agree with all but the first one, and in two minds about disagreeing on that one :-\

Washes cover a multitude of sins  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shecky

I used to be a flesh first painter.  Now my standard procedure is:
1. heavy dry brush of medium brown or predominant color over the entire figure
2. Coat (what ever is covering the chest and arms)
3. pants (whatever is covering the legs)
4. belts, webbing and accoutrements
4a. boots or shoes if they are anything other than brown
5. back packs or bed roll (depending on the figure)
6. cuffs and epaulettes (if the figure has them)
7. rifle, then gun metal
8. flesh
9. hats/helmets
9a. hair
10. details such as rifle strap, other metal works
11. figure base

The flesh comes toward the end as I found that when I did it first I had to go back over the faces and hands anyway.

Other things I would add to your list:
1. Never prep more figures than you can finish in your normal painting cycle. For instance, I normally can paint 40 - 60 figures a week. I've found that if I have more than that primed and ready for painting then I don't have that sense of accomplishment and tend to lose interest in the project.
2. Don't start painting any new figures until all the current batch is painted, based AND flocked. I've based too many painted figures on bare bases with the intent to flock them only to set them aside and never complete the bases.
3. If you want to paint but only have 30 minutes, then paint. You don't need to set aside a block of hours to paint. Otherwise I'd never find time to paint.

fsn

1. Make sure you mix batches. Don't try and paint 400 infantry without breaking it up with cavalry and artillery.
2. Make sure you have enough paint. Nothing worse than running out of the main colour you need just when your mojo is firing on all cyllinders.
3. Remember the varnish.
4. Some bugger is going to do it better than you, so pick a style and stick to it.
5. Good lighting.

My mother also suggested a good shag whilst painting, but I never took up pipe smoking.    
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

TinyTerrain

Hi

3 golden rules:

Accept that you paint at the speed you paint at, and to the best of your abilities. Others will be quicker, better, have more detail, less mess, more subtle shading and generally pee you off with their brush wizadry.Thats life, the more you paint the better you will get.

Keep a black book of what colours and process you use to paint certain armies and specific materials, eg if you come up with a killer process for aged leather, write it down you will use it again and again The book also allows you to quickly add to any army years later.

In most cases the base is bigger than the combined painted area, so spend as much effort on the bases as you do the figures. in 10mm you see the bases on the table way before the figures.

cheers,

Craig
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Only 'rule' I really have, is to start with anything metallic....Paint it black or brown and then drybrush the metal colour on.
THAT'S when I find paint goes where you don't want it to !
Cheers - Phil.

FierceKitty

Quote from: fsn on 12 February 2014, 07:13:53 AM

My mother also suggested a good shag whilst painting, but I never took up pipe smoking.    

Painting Thebans, were you?

(Those who don't read, study, communicate with the literate, or otherwise have any connexion with the world around them are referred to relevant sections of Greek drama and Viennese science.)

fsn

Quote from: Shecky on 12 February 2014, 04:48:29 AM
I used to be a flesh first painter.  Now my standard procedure is:
1. heavy dry brush of medium brown or predominant color over the entire figure
2. Coat (what ever is covering the chest and arms)
3. pants (whatever is covering the legs)
4. belts, webbing and accoutrements
4a. boots or shoes if they are anything other than brown
5. back packs or bed roll (depending on the figure)
6. cuffs and epaulettes (if the figure has them)
7. rifle, then gun metal
8. flesh
9. hats/helmets
9a. hair
10. details such as rifle strap, other metal works
11. figure base
ou want to paint but only have 30 minutes, then paint. You don't need to set aside a block of hours to paint. Otherwise I'd never find time to paint.

Tried that. Didn't work on my Sherman Firefly.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

get2grips

Definitely agree with the hugs one: my wife makes me jump out of my effing skin :)

Similar to Craig's little black book, I "write" the names of colours I've used on the underside of the bases so I can add to the unit later.

Don't worry too much about rank and file: no-one ever picks em up anyway; spend your time on the commanders, uber units etc.

Stuck for inspiration; paint one mini really, REALLY well. ;)

FierceKitty

Ah, yes. Also start with a small but pretty unit to encourage yourself that you will get the job done eventually.

Sean67

Write down what colour you used !
Always having to go back and compare already painted figures to paint pots lol
Either that or don't try and increase battlegroups 6-12 months down the line.
Regards
Sean

Hertsblue

Quote from: get2grips on 12 February 2014, 09:28:16 AM
Definitely agree with the hugs one: my wife makes me jump out of my effing skin :)

As a corollary, always have a "landing platform" available for incoming coffee. Although I have cured the other half of plonking it down in the middle of the cutting mat.

Get up and move around from time to time. Stops parts of the body going to sleep.

And most important of all - if you start feeling tense or irritable stop and go and do something else.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Steve J

I agree with Craig. Also if armour is involved, I paint that first, then the other colours.

Fenton

Quote from: Shecky on 12 February 2014, 04:48:29 AM

2. Don't start painting any new figures until all the current batch is painted, based AND flocked.

May the rest of the wargaming world forgive you for your heretical  and blasphemous words
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

Daub Errata

Paint placidly amid the noise and haste, and make the most of whatever passes for silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with spouses, parents, pets and children.

Pass on tips quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their insights.

Avoid power gamers, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser painters than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own armies, however humble; they are a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution on EBay; for it is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strike surprising deals; and everywhere there are bargains.

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Especially, do not feign an interest. Neither be cynical about production schedules; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment sooner or later someone will make a model of it in a scale you want.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth; eyesight, steady hands ....

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many botched paint jobs are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of Pendraken, no less than Techno, Nik or Fenton ; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Pendraken figure ranges are unfolding as they should. Therefore be at peace with Leon, whatever you conceive him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep pace with your purchases.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to paint something.

<Sorry Max>
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data