Colours for horses in the acw

Started by petercooman, 28 January 2014, 10:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

So what mix of colours do people use for horses in general?

I tend to do about 1/5 each of: Bay, Chestnut, Brown, Black, Dun and mix them up a bit on the bases.

For some reason I really strugge with greys so tend not to do them

Regards,
Paul
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2/3 chestnut.
Then in amounts, decreasing...
Roan
Dun
Black
Grey (paint grey, black wash, stipple highlight with dead no 2 brush)
Grey (as if in grey, not white)
Bay
Palamino
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 January 2014, 07:02:57 PM
If its a western campaign you can sneak in a few palaminos as they were highly prized especially in Texas, otherw mix them up as they had to make do with whatever nags they could get hold of. This is even more true of Southern States later in the war.

I didn't think Palaminos were bred until the eighteen-seventies? Oh, and pretty well all European armies used the convention of mounting trumpeters on greys - including the Brits. Still do in the Household Cavalry.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Matt J

mostly chestnut and bays then a few greys, black and the odd dun.
did used to do piebald and skewbald but bloody hard work at this scale.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Maenoferren

29 January 2014, 03:12:44 PM #19 Last Edit: 29 January 2014, 03:16:05 PM by Maenoferren
Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 29 January 2014, 11:23:11 AM
mostly chestnut and bays then a few greys, black and the odd dun.
did used to do piebald and skewbald but bloody hard work at this scale.
Guess what colours my plains wars mounted warrior's  horses are going to be  ;D
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Matt J

They would be my only exception. Plains Indians have to be on piebalds 

good luck with them, a very, very, very, small sponge dipped in white paint may help  :)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Tobbe

Quote from: petercooman on 28 January 2014, 05:23:45 PM
Thanks! I thought this was for the napoleonic era only, didn't know it went as far as that!!

Most everything taught at West Point was French in origin. The Hardee infantry tactical manual was translated from French.
I'm about to embark on the fool's mission of setting up Battle of the Auroch Hills with 10mm figures as well as building a scale model of the battleground. Maybe next year.

Maenoferren

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 29 January 2014, 03:29:58 PM

good luck with them, a very, very, very, small sponge dipped in white paint may help  :)
the couple I have done so far seem to have worked using inks over pale coat... will do some more and then get the photos done.... well... get better photos done

Fenton

I have found over the years that 49 out of every 50 horses  I have seen outside in the wild is a Vallejo Beige Brown colour...which is very lucky for me as I have lots of Beige Brown paint
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Techno

Quote from: Fenton on 30 January 2014, 10:11:55 AM
I have found over the years that 49 out of every 50 horses  I have seen outside in the wild is a Vallejo Beige Brown colour...

There's a right, royal old mixture around here..... (You should see the variations in just Mrs T's 'brood'.  ;))
About the only colour I haven't seen since moving to the 'Land of the Wet' is a palomino......And they were pretty damn rare, even where I used to live.
Do we actually know....From a historical perspective...The colours of horses from the last few hundred years.....Or longer ?

(Serious question...For a change.)

Cheers - Phil

nikharwood

Quote from: Fenton on 30 January 2014, 10:11:55 AM
I have found over the years that 49 out of every 50 horses  I have seen outside in the wild is a Vallejo Beige Brown colour...which is very lucky for me as I have lots of Beige Brown paint

Quote from: Techno on 30 January 2014, 11:00:30 AM
There's a right, royal old mixture around here..... (You should see the variations in just Mrs T's 'brood'.  ;))

Yep - my six are all widely different colours. Apart from now, when they are all a remarkably similar shade of "muddy field".

Not sure what Vallejo number that is though... ;)

Maenoferren

Napoleonic colours -  we know from the records as it gives regiments and colours of their mounts, however is a bay in 1812 the same as a bay now. the further back we go the less we will know of their true colours -

Techno

Quote from: nikharwood on 30 January 2014, 11:27:50 PM
Yep - my six are all widely different colours. Apart from now, when they are all a remarkably similar shade of "muddy field".

I keep trying to get Mrs T to get rid of ours....Then we could 'step' all the fields and grow rice.....There MUST be enough water there. =)
Cheers - Phil

Hertsblue

Quote from: Maenoferren on 30 January 2014, 11:48:38 PM
Napoleonic colours -  we know from the records as it gives regiments and colours of their mounts, however is a bay in 1812 the same as a bay now. the further back we go the less we will know of their true colours -

Pat Condray in his Swedish and Russian Armies of the Great Northern War notes that it was believed in Sweden that the darker a horse the stronger. Heavy cavalry therefore tended to ride black horses. Christopher Duffy's The Army of Frederick the Great also remarks that "The darkness of the coat was seen as a sign of quality. Thus in 1751 Frederick stipulated that the very blackest horses should go to the cuirassiers, and those of passable black or blackish-brown to the dragoons." Napoleon instituted a similar order during his reign.

When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

OldenBUA

I came across this blog about equestrian history recently, it has a lot of nice stuff in it.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.