WW2 Americans in North Africa

Started by ChrisR, 09 February 2014, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisR

Morning everyone!

I have a quick question about painting US troops and tanks in Tunisia. Me and a few friends are getting together BKC armies for the Tunisian theatre and I'm going for the Americans. I can't seem to find much information on the uniforms and tank colours. As I understand they were pretty much the same as those used by the US in Europe but I was wondering if anyone has any advice for painting these miniatures. :)

Thanks, Chris

GordonY

Yellow horizontal stripes around the tank turrets if I recall correctly instead of white.

Best bet would be a visit to the Flames of War website, they have many articles on painting for the various theatres.

like http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=110&art_id=444&kb_cat_id=27

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Whilst Yellow for the stripes is correct, most were white, and normally pained out. The base colour is a light olive drab/brown, and troop uniforms were probably a light brown.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Yellow stripes and Americans. There's a joke there, that I just can't put my finger on.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

ChrisR

Thanks guys :)

The FOW site has some fantastic articles and has helped massively, thanks for the recommendation!

Ace of Spades

Equipment and uniforms for the North Africa campaign were exactly the same as for the NWE campaign; the US Army never issued any special 'hot weather' uniforms to it's troops like the British did. Even in the Pacific they would wear the standard cotton 'herringbone twill dungarees' that were issued to all troops regardless of theatre. The only difference would be in the fading of paint and fabric that would be more substantial in the African (or Pacific) sun.
Tanks would indeed have a white or yellow band around the turret and if the band was yellow, they would also wear yellow stars. But indeed; these would often be painted out or smeared with mud.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!