10mm Moderns

Started by bigjackmac, 30 December 2013, 09:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

If you've been watching my recent modern battle reports you've seen I've been playing out some French Foreign Legion vs Islamist insurgents.  The conflict is about to expand, I sat my butt down and made myself finish the painting, basing, re-painting, and re-basing that needed to be done.

Here's a couple shots:

Brit Royal Marines.

USMC.  I love it because it's actually set up like a real fireteam: Corporal with M-203, scout (or nowadays Designated Marksman) with M-16, automatic rifleman with M-249 (though this is being phased out), and A-gunner with M-16.

Some Israelis.

Some special operations types.

Some Taliban.

Some "Tumorian" regulars.

For a few more pics and better descriptions, please check my blog at:

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/

I'll be posting some WWII stuff soon as well.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Very nice work. Love the character you've given each force. 8)
I can appreciate US Marine camo being a nightmare, have a look at Dougie's blog for some ideas about camo?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Techno

bigjackmac

Thanks guys.

Doing camo in general isn't a problem for me, it was just MARPAT and multicam, couldn't figure them out:

It's just so 'small.'  I know they all are when painting in 10mm, but with most things you can use an 'impressionistic' approach and it looks good; couldn't figure it out with MARPAT.

The funny thing is, my use of khaki is probably right; when you back out a little bit, that's what it looks like:

So, I gave up on MARPAT and tried multicam:

I tried various greens, browns, and yellows, but nothing looked right.  I wish I'd taken some pictures, because it's hilarious: whenever I went back in to put in the darks and lights it ended up looking like the German armor "ambush" pattern camo  ;D  Kinda cool looking, but definitely not what I was attempting to do!

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

This will sound completely mad, but how about .1mm artists pens. Its what I used after Dougie suggested it for British DPM?
Green, brown and sepia are all available. Over beige and tan blobs might work.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

.1mm artist's pens, eh? It does sound crazy  :-\

But it absolutely sounds like it could work, thanks Lemmey! 

Also, I sent Phil a message about the early war and Vietnam War Marines, we'll see what he says.  I'm kinda scared, I'm not a wealthy man Lemmey  :-[

V/R,
Jack