What's crazy, impractical and bigger than a Maus...

Started by Leon, 02 December 2013, 02:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 04 December 2013, 08:41:21 PM
looking at some of the images you can use the Ratte hull (modified) add the gun (similar to 14" rail gun) - 2 part resin cast. Do the 4 supports in metal. Simples  :D.

Ratte £30, Monster say £40-£45. I'd buy one  :D

plus you'd sell 10 infantry packs to man it  :D

please  :D

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Quote from: Marcust34 on 04 December 2013, 02:01:20 PM
Did it not have snorkel system so that it didn't have to ever use a bridge (as they worked out that much) so they just found a shallow bit of banking and drove across? (in theory).

Any guesses on the Miles Per Gallon?

WAsn't the snorkel on the maus? ::

"V1

The first, turretless prototype (V1) was assembled by Alkett in December 1943. Tests started the same month, with a mock turret fitted of the same weight as the real turret.[1] In June 1944 the production turret, with armament, was used for tests.[1]

The Maus was surprisingly agile for its 188 ton weight. Its minimal turning radius was 7.25 m, almost twice that of a Tiger I at 3.55m, but significantly less the 18.6 m for an M4 Sherman mid production.

The Maus was simply too heavy to cross bridges. As a result an alternative system was developed, where the Maus would instead ford the rivers it needed to cross. Due to its size it could ford relatively deep streams, but for deeper ones it was to submerge and drive across the river bottom. The solution required tanks to be paired up. One Maus would supply electrical power to the crossing vehicle via a cable until it reached the other side. The crew would receive air through a large snorkel, which was long enough for the tank to go 45 feet (13 m) underwater."

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leon on 04 December 2013, 06:57:49 PM
Does no-one do a Mk IV tank in 2mm scale...  ;D

Actually there's a Goliath in the "Axis & Allies" collectable figure range that is nominally 15mm scale but is passable as 10mm scale.

I'll post pics once I have the Sdkfz 251 from my latest order to act as the mothership.

I have the unit plus two Pendraken crew based up so far, just need the Hannomag and I'm good to go with painting.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

Sdkfz 251 turned up in the post this morning - thanks Leon.

Undercoated and ready to start painting tomorrow - gales, floods and other acts of god permitting.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Jay Arnold

Leon

Quote from: Jay Arnold on 07 December 2013, 02:26:32 AM
Centerpiece of the 1946 range, eh Leon?

Yep!  We've got the Maus as well, plus some Weird War walkers to be production moulded.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Jay Arnold

Nazi zombies? Werewolves in Feldmutze? Allied golems? Or not that wierd?  ;D

Seriously, you need to do Japanese zombies.

Jay Arnold

And Tesla turrets for ground mounting and tanks.

Jetpack Fallschirmjaeger and Brit/US Airborne.

Native American shaman.

Baba Yaga's house with a KV1 turret.

Hertsblue

Why should 1946 suddenly open the floodgates to zombies and other weirdness? Mind you, I was born in '47 so perhaps there's something in it....  :o
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Jay Arnold

The possibility of Germany fighting into '46 is fantasy in and of itself. Now you're getting bothered about Zombies and atomic-powered Tesla tanks?  ;D

Besides, who doesn't like zombies?   ;)

I'm guessing someone has already mentioned Infantry with NVA helmets?

ronan

Quote from: Jay Arnold on 07 December 2013, 02:52:53 PM
(...)Besides, who doesn't like zombies?   ;)

I'm not fond of zombies, I must admit.   :-[

barbarian

2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!