What's crazy, impractical and bigger than a Maus...

Started by Leon, 02 December 2013, 02:55:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luddite

Ratte!!!  I may have to pick one up.   :D

Next up the Russian KV-6?

;D
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Marcust34

Quote from: Hertsblue on 03 December 2013, 08:59:10 AM
On reaching the nearest major river the Ratte halts - regardless of whether or not there are bridges available.

Did it not have snorkel system so that it didn't have to ever use a bridge (as they worked out that much) so they just found a shallow bit of banking and drove across? (in theory).

Any guesses on the Miles Per Gallon?

Techno

Welcome to the forum Marcus !

I'll guess 4 gallons per mile.

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Given that the "Maus" was expected to consume just over 9 gallons per mile on roads and 25.5 gallons per mile cross country I'd suggest fuel consumption would be several times that for the "Ratte" or, at a rough estimate, more fuel than the Third Reich could sensibly have supplied without successfully taking the Caucasus oilfields intact.

Even the comparatively light-weight, at 124 tonnes, Karl Gerat 600mm Morser moving at a sprightly walking pace was expected to consume between 7 and 10 gallons of fuel per mile.

Whether from sheer impracticality or allied action I reckon it was doomed to be the world's most expensive pill-box in next to no time.

None of which will prevent tread-heads from buying quite a few of them :)

If I can find the cash I might even get one myself - as a monument to human stupidity/ objective marker for Late War games set in and around Kummersdorf!

Would far rather have seen the Sdkfz 303 "Goliath"/ Sdkfz 231 8-rad / Pz II "Luchs" / Soviet B-4 203mm howitzer / Soviet Quad AA MG (ground or truck mounted) etc. but I can understand the commercial interest in producing the "Ratte" instead.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Stroll on !! :o :o :o :o :o
Mind you.....It IS a very large bit of kit...So perhaps I shouldn't be surprised !!
Thanks for the info I.
Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Is there really no 8-rad in the Pendraken catalogue?  :o
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Ithoriel

Quote from: mad lemmey on 04 December 2013, 04:30:50 PM
Is there really no 8-rad in the Pendraken catalogue?  :o

There's a late war 234 but no early war 231/232

To be fair the main difference is the mudguards so I'll probably just get a 234 and fight the urge to get out the clippers, files, scalpel and Green Stuff!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

barbarian

I may or may not do a goliath for personal use.

Perhaps.

Maybe.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

You'd have to have a troops of Rattes. One on it's own is fit for nothing.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 December 2013, 03:15:17 PM
Would far rather have seen the Sdkfz 303 "Goliath"/ Sdkfz 231 8-rad / Pz II "Luchs" / Soviet B-4 203mm howitzer / Soviet Quad AA MG (ground or truck mounted) etc.

Does no-one do a Mk IV tank in 2mm scale...  ;D

Quote from: Matt of Munslow on 04 December 2013, 04:41:32 PM
To be really silly how about a P 1500 Monster please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landkreuzer_P._1500_Monster

I really want one of these  :D

Now that would be fun to mould up and cast!  You'd have to do it in quite a few separate pieces, and it wouldn't be cheap.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Matt J

QuoteNow that would be fun to mould up and cast!  You'd have to do it in quite a few separate pieces, and it wouldn't be cheap

looking at some of the images you can use the Ratte hull (modified) add the gun (similar to 14" rail gun) - 2 part resin cast. Do the 4 supports in metal. Simples  :D.

Ratte £30, Monster say £40-£45. I'd buy one  :D

plus you'd sell 10 infantry packs to man it  :D

please  :D
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep