Forward to Richmond! A wargamer's guide to First Bull Run, First Manassas

Started by Tobbe, 22 November 2013, 02:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobbe

I just found this thread and here is a link to my blog:
Forward to Richmond!
A wargamer's guide to First Bull Run, First Manassas
http://www.forward-to-richmond.com/

Currently we have painted up about 1000 of 1800 or so figures we'll be needing for the full-blown version of Bull Run 1861. That includes some variants and what-ifs. The vast majority are Pendraken except for a couple of regiments in Hardee hats.
I'm about to embark on the fool's mission of setting up Battle of the Auroch Hills with 10mm figures as well as building a scale model of the battleground. Maybe next year.

petercooman

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Great blog, Tobbe. Can't help thinking that the Washington Grays must have had a tough time from their own side dressed like that.  :o
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Tobbe

Quote from: Hertsblue on 23 November 2013, 10:19:59 AM
Great blog, Tobbe. Can't help thinking that the Washington Grays must have had a tough time from their own side dressed like that.  :o
Not only them. In the very initial skirmish 4th South Carolina opened fire on the Louisiana Tigers since the latter har blue jackets. There was even confusion between due to units on both sides wearing red shirts, Federal guns not firing at Seccesionst troops wearing blue, etc. Add in that not only where the various home-sewn flags confusingly similar, but there was no wind at all for the colours to fly in.

The major reason for so many units on both sides wearing gray is that they wore the regulation militia uniform of the United States six month previously.
I'm about to embark on the fool's mission of setting up Battle of the Auroch Hills with 10mm figures as well as building a scale model of the battleground. Maybe next year.