Seven Years War Austrian Infantry (German Regiments)

Started by T13A, 10 September 2013, 12:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Help!

I have just started to paint up some Austrian infantry for the Seven Years War (code SYA1) and on the left hip of the figure is a small round 'thing' next to the knapsack. From my own reference material I cannot identify what this 'thing' is. Not sure if it is meant to be a small water bottle or a cartridge pouch (although the figure has the correct one as well). Gratefull for any help.  :-\

And while I am here can anyone confirm that Austrian infantry had their hair powdered during the war.

Many thanks, Paul
T13A Out!

WeeWars

11 September 2013, 01:01:00 AM #1 Last Edit: 11 September 2013, 01:05:47 AM by WeeWars
Hi Paul,

Can't help with the figure but Austrian officers, NCOs and musicians hair powdered, other ranks not.

I would recommend:

Uniforms of the SYW Austria 18th Century Press

http://www.18thcenturypress.com/syw.html

Cheers, Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Seconded. The Greenwood and Ball uniform guides have been around for decades and are probably the most cost-effective sources you can buy.

What you describe is the small bown leather water-bottle carried by all Austian infantry. The Ottenfeld illustrations show it quite clearly.

Ray
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Chad

Agree with HB, Funcken also shows a wooden water bottle. Pengel and Hurt make a brief passing reference to a powder flask but show no examples or its position.

Chad

T13A

Many thanks for the replies. I think you are spot on it being a wooden water bottle (I did find a reference to them having one but no picture), it just looked a bit small to me.

Thanks again.  :)

Paul
T13A Out!