'First Look' at the new Mongols!!!

Started by Leon, 05 September 2013, 02:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt J

mine also arrived today.

They are exceptionally well detailed but I would agree they are rather small. Not so much the horses but the Mongols themselves. They are proportionate in size to other sculpts I have that are done by Phil so are consistent in that respect. They look tiny compared to the Normans (men not horses) I have but these are a bit over large. I think it is impossible for every sculpture to match every other for size and proportion it just isn't possible they all have their different styles. That is why it is good that one model maker works on one complete range.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase and look forward to painting them.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

clibinarium

Quote from: Techno on 18 January 2014, 01:21:50 PM
Cheques in the post Clib ! ;)

I know we have discussed this before....But probably worth repeating

Seriously.....If i get the chance...I'll get Mrs T to take a couple of shots of me standing next to two (or more) of her gee-gees.
Me being, what was, around 6 foot tall (I bet I'm only 5'10"-11" now)....against two very different sized equines.....
The smaller of the two I'm thinking of, could easily have carried me in his youth.....And from what I've read...he'd have been the size that Norman knights would have used for battle....If he were a bit plumper...he wouldn't be too far off a 'Mongol' pony.
If I sat on him.....and made a (hopefully) proportionally accurate model of the pair of us.....I would make him look TINY.....We are talking 'My Little Pony', here.

At six feet tall, you probably tower over the average medieval Mongol, Phil!

sakura

i didnt mean to offend
i also query the size of the men not horses
i lived in northern china a year
im 6ft 2 and 15 stone but many chinese here were of a similar size and the mongolians i met were smaller but very stocky and gave an impression of real bulk
by being so small in size some overall heft is lost and the men seen in proportion and hence too slight

it is difficult to get things right
someof the polish hussars i have seem small in comparison to other polish cavalry but they are ols sculpts
the league of augsburg are european i know but the size makes them a joy to paint and they look magnificent
im sorry as i admire pendraken and all you do  but these just dont do it for me
i was hoping to use kallistra chinese as enemies and accept the difference as being historical
i will still continue to use pendraken and think someof the figures are magniicent and work so well
cheers
i guess ill sell these ones and reinvest in otherpendrakens
again, no offence intended

TinyTerrain

Phil,

You appear to have missed off the bowstrings, and the buttons are nearly as big as his hands, can you sort it out  ;)

Sorry couldnt help myself,

Craig
http://www.wargames.blog.co.uk
All Periods, All scales

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

get2grips

Quote from: TinyTerrain on 18 January 2014, 05:26:04 PM
Phil,

You appear to have missed off the bowstrings, and the buttons are nearly as big as his hands, can you sort it out  ;)

Sorry couldnt help myself,

Craig

=O =O =O

The eyeballs aren't that well defined either :o

Techno

Quote from: TinyTerrain on 18 January 2014, 05:26:04 PM
Phil,You appear to have missed off the bowstrings, Craig

No I didn't.....It's just that they're so thin you can't see them.....Or the metal hasn't flowed thro' the gap in the mould  ;) :P
Cheers - Phil

Techno

Quote from: sakura on 18 January 2014, 04:38:52 PM
i didnt mean to offend

Don't worry about it Sakura....
One of the problems, would be having to make SO many different sized dollies....Both horse and men....and the different combinations of the two combined that it simply wouldn't be truly feasible.....From both a time and cost point of view.

You're right....It's difficult to get things 'right'.....In many cases we simply have to compromise on proportions etc.....And try our hardest to make them 'work' or 'look right'....and whatever we do, by having to compromise, it won't look right for everybody.
Cheers - Phil.

sakura

thanks phil
i was trying to be objective and imnot aware of all the problems of casting and sculpting
hope the forum wil  not become too sycophantic and criticism can be seen as being constructive
shame if we ever just try to be sarcastic at others because they have questioned the house stye
many thanks for repying in such a  positive manner
cheerss

Matt J

Sakura

Your comments are certainly valid and I agree.

But I can see the problem from Phil's perspective (I've been involved in model making but in a different industry). The horses are certainly right. If the Mongols had been bigger on the horses people would probably have complained even more about big men on little ponies - even though it is probably more historically accurate. It is a difficult one to compromise.

Maybe paint a few up and see what they are like. I'm still hugely impressed by the detail.

Matt
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

If I can find the time,I'll try and plonk something down in the next few days......Been meaning to do this for a while anyway, and try and explain some of the 'cheats' we have to use at this scale.
A lot of it is basically down to 'fooling the eye'....and by that, I mean making the figure look as right as possible (hopefully) on the tabletop, rather than necessarily physically accurate.

Just as a quick example.....A rifle....Such as the SLRs I've sculpted on the Falklands' troops.
In reality, on the model....They're actually a fair bit too long......But this is to compensate for the fact that a barrel on the model itself can't really be less than 0.5mm in diameter....And even that's pushing it a tiny bit as far as moulding and casting is concerned.

So....If we 'blew up' the 10mm man to life size, the barrel's diameter would be enormous......But by lengthening the barrel, it doesn't notice quite so much.
If I made the rifle itself, the correct length.....It would appear too short and 'stumpy' because of the 'fat' barrel.

Like I say.....It's very much down to the best 'compromise'. :)
And I hope the above makes some sort of sense !! ;) ;D

Cheers - Phil.

Leon

Thanks for the comments, all feedback is appreciated.  I've checked the figures against some of the other ranges here, and the Mongols on foot within 1mm of the Napoleonic foot, so those are fine.  On the mounted side, the horses are smaller by design and as requested, so won't look right against the bigger LoA cavalry as Clib has mentioned.  Putting them next to some of the Naps/Medievals/FPW's I've got to hand, they're definitely shorter mounts, but not massively so.

I'd agree with Phil though that a lot of it is down to perception, and that if the riders were any bigger then we could have had complaints about them not looking right as a piece.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Shedman

1st three figures painted (to my standard) from the MON 2 Light Cavalry with Swords - only another 347 to go

Duke Speedy of Leighton

No fair shedman, I'm still looking at the bags!  ;D ;D ;D

Great painting!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

get2grips

Nice work.

THAT is some speedy brush-work Shedman ;)

Sandinista

Quote from: Shedman on 18 January 2014, 10:38:27 PM
1st three figures painted (to my standard) from the MON 2 Light Cavalry with Swords - only another 347 to go

Cool stuff  :)  :)