First Look: Chain of Command by Too Fat Lardies

Started by Ferb, 17 June 2013, 10:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferb

Hi all,

While researching the best mix for my Bolt Action Brits Nosher mentioned another set of WW2 skirmish rules that are coming out later this year, 'Chain of Command' from Too Fat Lardies. They seemed to be generating some buzz so I decided to check them out. I noticed they'd done a set of videos explaining the rules and a play through of a game so I've included them all on my blog with my thoughts on the rules.

Ferb

Steve J

QuoteBut I have a number of questions, such as do the rules include scenarios; are there national differences for the various troop types; is there a campaign structure; do the rules include comprehensive army lists or are we going to have to buy supplements etc. Overall the rules seem to have some interesting ideas and offer a different tactical challenge to Bolt Action. Not sure if I'll buy a set, it depends on the price, but worth another look once they come out, which is expected to be sometime in August.

Hi Ferb,
a few answers to some of the above:
- I believe there are scenarios.
- There are different national characteristics.
- No idea on campaign, but fairly easy to sort out I would have thought.
- There are lists for Germans, Brits, Russians and Japaneses, with possibly Italians but can't remember to be sure. The Germans for example include Panzergrenadiers, the Brits Paras and Commandos. These may change when the final draft is completed.
- Price is likely to be £20-£22.

All of the above from chatting to Rich at the Wyvern Wargames TFL day.

Fenton

I am hoping they have a game of this on demo/participation when they come to Belfast
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ferb

Steve J

No problem Ferb. I also forgot to mention the Americans are also included.

Wulf

Quote from: Steve J on 17 June 2013, 11:51:58 AM
No problem Ferb. I also forgot to mention the Americans are also included.
They're even late in arriving in this thread...  ;)

Luddite

Quote from: Wulf on 17 June 2013, 03:02:30 PM
They're even late in arriving in this thread...  ;)

No worries, they'll soon start their own thread about how they won the Battle of Britain and successfully defended Stalingrad all on their own.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Nosher

Are you trying  tell me that bon jovi didnt capture the enigma machine :o :o
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Steve J

The Lardie boys are running a live day of action of the CoC rules via their Blog. Well worth a visit IMHO. It's been good so far...

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=1505

Ithoriel

Can't help thinking of:

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here." - Jayne Cobb, "Firefly - The TrainJob"

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ferb

The more I see of these rules the more I like them.

fred.

I'm really liking the look of these rules.

My first intention is to pair them with the new Perry 8th Army figures - but I am wondering from seeing the battle reports, whether they will actually work quite well with multi-based 10mm (of which I have a small vast amount).
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

Possibly Fred, as long as you have a way of recording casualties etc. 

sunjester

I play a lot of TFL's IABSM with 10mm figures on stands and that works fine. I know it's company level rather than platoon, but it's still designed for single figures, with individual casualty removal. I use really little dice to keep a track of casualties. I usually use two 3-4 man stands to represent a 8-man section and remove a stand after 4 kills.