My AWI progress

Started by ryman1, 09 April 2013, 01:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryman1

29th regiment of foot 1768 warrant.

I've gone to work on the bases (ain't got large grit or tufts yet) and have highlighted it with lighter colours, also tried to line black a little better since the last Regt.
Many thanks to all who have given advice (I've tried to utilise it all), I really feel like I'm learning here so hats off to you all.
I feel my second regt is better than my first due to your input.

Cheers

Ry

PS.. Critiscism is still welcome and is probably the best remedy for a painter looking to improve so feel free to throw it on. :)

nikharwood

Looking good, Ry - some (small) critique:

- the backpack straps: these look a touch inconsistent (some thicker than others) - have you thought of edging the basecoat on these (using the edge of the brush at 90 degrees to the strap) and then either doing the same with the highlight, or 'touch' painting the higlight - as a series of 'spots'?
- tidy up the rear basing edges on your stands - you've got scuffs from highlighting
- a featherlight touch of off-white onto your grass can 'lift' just a touch by giving an extra highlight (and therefore depth)
- your black soldiers would benefit from a highlight on their faces - I'd go with Chestnut Brown - again, just to lift a touch

These are beautifully done though  8)

General Bt Sherman

They look good to me. Excellent work again.
Wargame or Die!

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!

ryman1

Nik, you're spot on.

I think I should try photograghing them as they are in daylight first though. (mixing a bad photographer with 8pm light ain't good)
I based the black soldiers faces in scorched brown, highlighted bestial brown then touched with leather to 'identify' them, really need to use light more effectively as I could make out lips/eyes/cheeks when I painted them but looking at the pics as they are her I'm really dissapointed (in the flesh I was happy)
I'll scratch the bases clean and photo them in daylight tomorrow, hopefully they'll be better but if not then............that's why I'm here...to learn from the best.

Cheers

Ry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

kev1964

Those are really stunning Ry, really nice work. Nik is spot on about the straps on the packs, i split them in half when painting, bottom half white and top gold for a buckle, i dont know if it,s technically correct but it looks good to me and at a distance looks nice and clean/crisp.  Well done on the colored guys, i painted some zulus a couple of years ago and thought they would be easy and quick but they were actually the hardest figures iv,e ever painted, getting the colors right and a good highlight i found very difficult and that was on 6mm so 10s is even harder. A good idea on the grass also, something i dont do or have never thought about so will give that a try, thanks Nik.
I hope you dont mind me putting this pic on as i find it easier to show what i mean than explain, looking forward to seeing more,

kev

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Those are absolutely terrific Ry !! :-bd =D>
Cheers - Phil.

Hertsblue

Terrific, Ry. The little fifer and drummer are great.  8)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Womble67

Hi
   Most impressive.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

ryman1

Newest regiment finished this morning - British 19th foot.
As always a pleasure to paint :)

Cheers

Ry

Leman

Fantastic painting style. Well done that man!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Brilliant !! :-bd =D>
Cheers - Phil.

kev1964

Excellent work Ry,

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Excellent stuff once again Ry 8).