Blogs - how do I do one?

Started by ryman1, 22 March 2013, 05:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryman1

Hello all,

I have had a wonderful few days scouting the blogs of Pendraken forum members and have bookmarked a few as they are full of the type of pics and projects that can pull a painter out of painters block.

I'd like to have my own but have fallen at the first hurdle when trying to create one, if anyone could offer me an 'idiots guide' to putting one together I'd be very grateful as I am the definition of ham-fisted when it comes to blogging.

cheers

Ry

Steve J

Hi Ry,
I'm no techno geek but I'd recommend the Google Blogger. Even a complete novie like me found it incredibly easy to set up. Just create an account and then follow their instructions, such as select a template etc. Start simple and then work your way up as you get more confident.
Hope this helps?
Steve J.

ryman1

Cheers Steve,

Off to try it out.

Ry

General Bt Sherman

Wargame or Die!

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!

ryman1

Oh dear oh dear, tried again and according to google I have a blog but I can't find it online now I've made it.

My blog is titled littlebigwarrior and the address is 10mmpainter.blogspot.com, can anyone see anything?, I always thought a blog was an easy way for others to follow your progress but I can't find the D**n thing myself even though I've just made it.

Any assistance greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ry

ryman1

Bryan , I should have hit your link first.

Cheers fella, looks pretty simple.

Ry

Steve J

Hi Ry,
just found your Blog as shown below :)

http://10mmpainter.blogspot.co.uk/

It might have taken a while for it to go live as it were. Stick with it and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Steve J.

ryman1

Nice one Steve,

My first post - provided I get the hang of blogging will be the seedy prince from the fantasy beggar range.

The missus asked me to order the fig and give him leopard print trousers!  oh!, the trials and tribulations of convincing her the hobby is worthwhile :-X

cheers

Ry 

ryman1

Steve,

I've got the blog up now but am doing everything via your link here, if it's not too much to ask, could you tell me how you found my blog and how I can let others find it via a basic google search?.
If so, in your own time and thanks for the help so far, it's been invaluable.

Ry

i_am_win

To get google to reference your site, your going to have to submit it to various search engines and get yourself as many backlinks from other sites as you can. This can be very time consuming but if you commit time everyday to doing a little bit, you'll get there eventually, send me a message and I'll put your site on my blogroll if you'd like, and I'd be happy to include it, as may other gamers with blogs here I'd imagine!
Another good way of getting indexed is joining blog networks, theyll bring in some extra visitors too!!
Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/

Techno

Quote from: Steve J on 22 March 2013, 05:36:53 PM
I'm no techno geek

Leave me out of this ! You know I'm no good with computer stuff. :P ;) ;D
Best of luck with the blog Ry.
Cheers - Phil.

Steve J

Hi Ry,
I simply copied the "10mmpainter.blogspot.com" and did a 'paste&go' into the 'web bar' (or what ever it's called) at the top of the screen and your Blog came up :). Note that here in the UK your site comes up as .co.uk rather than .com, just in case that makes a difference?

I access my Blog via sign in bit at the top right of my Google homepage. From that I can access loads of Google stuff, including my Blog.

A quick check of your Blog shows that you are getting the hang of things which is cool :).

TTFN,
Steve J.

Leon

Good to see the blog up and running!  For Google, as others have said, it's all about building a reputation basically, so that Google can recognise you as a legitimate search result.  This can be done by posting your blog posts here and on other sites, and by joining the blog networks mentioned already.  It can take some time to acheive though, so don't be surprised if you don't appear straight away.  I think it takes at least a week for Googles bots and search formula's to register any new posts / links / etc.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

ryman1

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions and guiding advice, it was a bit daunting at first trying to learn the ropes but you've all put me on the right road.

Anyway, I've been playing about with it and seem to have got a grip on it, so expect much in the way of Pendraken goodness as and when it's bought/painted (aswell as my own nonsense when insomnia comes for tea).

I reckon I've cracked it, so once again, thanks to you all :-bd

Cheers

Ry

(blog below)

i_am_win

Check out The Grinning Skull for Grinning Skull 15mm Miniatures rangehttp://www.thegrinningskull.co.uk/