Brushes finer than GW fine detail?

Started by ryman1, 22 March 2013, 03:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryman1

I use Gw fine detail brushes more than any other but having just undercoated my AWI 10's (my first), I'm looking for something better as the pendraken figures are so detailed that I don't think these brushes will do.
Can anyone recommend a very fine sable brush that would enable me to define button holes and eyebrows etc on a 10mm fig?

Price isn't an issue if the brushes are going to last and serve the purpose.

Cheers

Ry

Nav

you can always use the army painters "the psyco" and "insane detail" brush they worked exelent when i painted my awi.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Matt J

I use GW brushes also (they're are the only ones that seem compatible with GW paint).

for finer detail I use an older brush and trim it down cutting most of the bristles off.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

ryman1

Thanks Nav, I'll get a couple in and sample them.

Leon, as desperate as I am to empty my account and weigh down the supporting beams of my house with your goodies, the Humbrols all look the same on the product page - which is your smallest before I put an order in?

Matt, I find that too - I love gamecraft paints but the GW brushes do seem to work better on their own range (a clever paint lab trick?).

Cheers

Ry

Leon

The 00000 (5/0) are the smallest ones:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

If you want to take out a second mortgage, you could try the Windsor and Newton Series 7.
But a single brush will probably cost you as much as a complete set of the ones Leon stocks in Minibits.
Value for money wise, they're probably not worth it really.
You can muck them up just as quickly as a less expensive brush.. :'( :'(..and you'll find them only marginally better for super fine detail.

Cheers - Phil.

ryman1

Cheers Techno, I'll get a couple in.

Leon, expect an order on the brushes sometime over the weekend, just as soon as I've decided on whether it's more brits/germans or yanks/snail munchers for the next order (I fixed up the father in laws sink pipes and in lieu of payment, her royal missusness has decided to reward me with another pendraken order) :-bd

Leon

Quote from: ryman1 on 22 March 2013, 04:35:26 PM
Leon, expect an order on the brushes sometime over the weekend, just as soon as I've decided on whether it's more brits/germans or yanks/snail munchers for the next order (I fixed up the father in laws sink pipes and in lieu of payment, her royal missusness has decided to reward me with another pendraken order) :-bd

:D 8)

stormrider

Having just invested in a couple of Series 7, I can say that the difference is very noticeable (I was replacing the Vallejo Kolinsky Sable brushes). The biggest advantage being that you can comfortably use a larger brush for fine detail. Painting my 6mm I don't remember the last time I used anything smaller than a 0.

The brushes were about £5-6 each and invested in some brush soap at the same time to keep them looked after.

They certainly aren't for drybrushing or pva though! (I have a 1" house brush for that... again, for 6mm too).

PS - Sorry Leon, I do paint 10mm too! :)

Leon

WeeWars

With 10mm, I get by almost entirely with a Winsor and Newton Series 7 00. So much so, I just bought another on the Bay nice and cheap with a low bid.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

goat major

Another vote for W&N Series 7s. Beautiful brushes and will last a long time with good care. Buy some Masters Brush Soap at the same time. I usually get mine mail order from Ken Bromley art supplies.
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

FierceKitty

I always end up using bamboo skewers for the final bits. My brushes all get afro looks after a few weeks.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

General Bt Sherman

Quote from: goat major on 23 March 2013, 09:46:06 AM
Another vote for W&N Series 7s. Beautiful brushes and will last a long time with good care. Buy some Masters Brush Soap at the same time. I usually get mine mail order from Ken Bromley art supplies.

Same here.
Wargame or Die!

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!