Book(s) on Australian Light Horse in the Middle East WWI

Started by freddy326, 21 March 2013, 09:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freddy326

Can anyone recommend a good book (or books) about the Australian Light Horse in the Middle East during WWI?

I'm thinking of painting up a British Imperial and Turkish army using the Pendraken figures and I'm after a bit of inspiration!

thanks!!

Fenton

I have a book by Jean Bou called Australia's Palestine campaign  its part f the Australian Army Campaign series of books...really good read...Jean Bou has written quite a few book on the lighthorse if you google the name
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

freddy326

WeeWars

For general Palestine campaign inspiration you can't go wrong starting with

David L Bullock's Allenby's War

There's a colour plate of an Australia Light horseman in Osprey's British Army WW1 (3) and an Anzac mounted rifleman in NZ Expeditionary Force in WW1.

Cheers, Michael
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

I have some photos of he lighthorse that I took when taking part in the Anzac parade and Remembrance day  in Melbourne a couple of years back if your interested
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

WeeWars

Quote from: Fenton on 21 March 2013, 07:14:59 PM
I have some photos of he lighthorse that I took when taking part in the Anzac parade and Remembrance day  in Melbourne a couple of years back if your interested

I definitely would be!

Fenton

Dickie255

Hi Freddy

http://alh-research.tripod.com/toc.htm This is a website for Australian forces from 1899 to 1920 from the Australian Light Horse centre. There also lots of freebie books on the web for inspiration

Cheers

Rob

You do know there was a film made about the Australian Light Horse of course.  :D

Cheers, Rob  :)

freddy326

Quote from: Rob on 22 March 2013, 11:56:52 PM
You do know there was a film made about the Australian Light Horse of course.  :D

Cheers, Rob  :)

Oh yes, had that one some time and the Young Indana Jones version as well!

Fenton

Its a not a bad film, watched it again the other night despite its defects

Fenton

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I keep reading this as Austrian Light Horse...

Great resources chaps!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

WeeWars

Quote from: Rob on 22 March 2013, 11:56:52 PM
You do know there was a film made about the Australian Light Horse of course.

It's part of the first link I gave: The Australian Light Horse at Beersheba.