A few "wants" WW2 game - skirmish - campaign - 1:1 size

Started by a62213, 05 January 2013, 03:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a62213

Hey all,

I all very new to miniature gaming. So new, that i havnt really tried it yet. Been recently introduced to Memoir ´44, a board game using a hex map and with miniatures. It is very simple, but i think it is a lot of fun. So much fun, that i have ordred some ww2 minis here from Pendraken  :)

But i could be interested in another WW2 game, trying to setup my wants here:

• Skirmish style, with about 20 minis + some vehicles on each side
  • The board size shouldnt be bigger then 80ish cm x 120ish cm
  • The rulebook should give some kind of a campaign, with details where to put the minis, terrain and so on. I dont mind making the terrain myself. But i dont think i have the imagination to make a battle my self  :)
  • I like the idea that one mini is one person
  • And the last, a game shouldnt take more then 90 min

I have read alot about the new game from Warload Game; Bolt Action. That could be the thing im looking for, i think. but I havnt seen anything about the boardsize, and if there are a campaign or battle scenarios in the rulebook.

Any advise, will be taken gladly :)

Regards

Henrik[/list]

Nosher

Hi Henrik

Bolt Action does have scenarios (6 of them) and is scaled one to one. Its ok for solo play but better with two players.

It is designed for their own ranges in 28mm but could work in 10mm with scale reductions. Board size in 28mm is suggested as 6ft by 4ft so would be smaller proportionately in 10mm.

A 500 point game (about three squads of infantry and support) takes about an hour to play, 1000 point games are needed if you want to field armour and will up the playing time by about an hour.

Personally I think the sytem is best played at about 1000 points.

Is it a good game? I have played it half a dozen times and am still enjoying playing but would say that its quite hollywood-ish. If you want WW2 accuracy then probably better looking at Rules of Engagement.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

a62213

Hi Nosher,

Thank you, for the fast answer!

Im not looking for an accurate life like game, im so new to this, that it is more important that it is easy to play and understand.

Is Bolt Action playable in 10mm, or are the minis to small? Thinking, being a 1:1 game.

Are the more scenarios for DL, or player made available? And last, question - could you post an overview of one of the scenarios? :)

Steve J

barbarian

If you like WH40 000 with markers on table, RoE is for you.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

a62213

@ Barberian - i have MO knowledge of WH40.000, or any other miniature game :) I'm completely new to this.

Gran76

I'd second Rules of Engagement I play with half measurements then converted to inches on a 2 x 4ft table but increasing the table size again would give you good flanking manoveres. Its even suggested in the rules you can play with 2 fireteams per side on a 4ft x 4ft reducing it to 2x2ft.There's also a book out that deals with campaigns. My advice is keep experimenting and make sure you enjoy yourself  :)

Steve J

If you can Henrik, try and find a local club and/or friends who play some skirmish games so that you can try before you buy as it were.

a62213

First, thanks for the friendly advise, and I hope I don't ask to dumb questions.

Unfortunate, I think I'm the only one being fascinated by the miniature scheme, in my "friendzone". So the ideal thing, would be an east to understand game, not lasting to long - so I could be lucky to drag some friends into it. That's also why the max of 20 units pr side, cause I have to supply them :) same with gameboard and scenery. 

It sounds very interesting with a board measuring 2x2ft - 60x60 cm. How do you convert the rules and what size miniatures do you use? Could you post an example of a setup?

Nosher

Quote from: a62213 on 05 January 2013, 03:51:24 PM
Is Bolt Action playable in 10mm, or are the minis to small? Thinking, being a 1:1 game.

Are the more scenarios for DL, or player made available? And last, question - could you post an overview of one of the scenarios? :)

I game it in 28mm, however I do think it would be playble in 10mm with reduced distances from Inches to centimetres.

There are no other scenarios that I am aware of however there are a few battle reports on the Warlord Forum. That said their forum isn't that friendly a place (unlike here)  :)

A typical scenario in Bolt Action helps you determine who is the attacker, who is the defender and outlines any mission objectives. It doesn't tell you how to set up your table so if you are looking for prescriptive scenarios where forces, a map and deployments areas are all done for you you wont find it in Bolt Action.

have a look at my blog which outlines a game in progress

http://nosherswargames.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/bolt-action-in-action.html
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson