Boardgames (with miniatures)

Started by Nosher, 27 October 2012, 05:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

OH, and how could I forget Bloodbowl... :o :o :o

Few things in life are as satisfying as *that tackle* that sees your opponents star player being carried off on a stretcher :d
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Space Hulk.
Bloodbowl.....What about a 'travel version' of that in 10mm...with a mini board...Oh all right...might be a little too fiddly
I also liked the early version of Talisman....OK....You had to buy the figures instead of using the stand up cards....And it was glorified snakes and ladders.
But I used to enjoy that.

The game i used to love in my younger days...and always wondered why it wasn't produced with little figures, rather than just plastic shapes was Risk.

Happy days.
Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

There are versions where you can have figures now.
I quite liked the abstract version!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Luddite

Quote from: Hertsblue on 28 October 2012, 05:56:34 PM
Yeah, Carcassonne and Thurn & Taxis, good games both, but hardly wargames.  :-\

As i said...

Quote from: LudditeBoardgames or 'war based' wargames?  I got a bit confused by your post.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

sultanbev

We use the Empires in Arms campaign map and counters for a 15mm Napoleonic campaign if that counts.

What you have in figures can be bought and fielded in the campaign. Someone in the supporting Yahoo group made US and Asian maps, which I have copied/printed, so now we have Napoleonic armies stretching from America right across Europe to China.

Mark

Sean67

My introduction to Wargaming
was the board game  the Hunt for Red October by TSR games I think this was then addede to a line in the sand just after Gulf 1.
Ive done a mini Space Hulk in 6mm Pendraken Aliens and Epic S/M mounted on pennies with printed paper the whole thing fits in an old Video box with Dice. Just got some Scotia 6mm Sci Fi to replace the epic S/M these scale better to the 10mm Aliens I'm using as the

Just started doing LOTR in 10mm using the FUbar rules also mounted on coins fitting into a video case
regards
Sean

Nosher

I remember Line in the Sand - came out while I was in Germany. From what I remember it worked on a political as well as a war footing and when either the Jihad got too high (and Syria got dragged in) or pressure from back home waned was how the politics gauge worked.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Sean67

;D Yes Nosher Many a Sat Morning/Afternoon playing that with a few Yellow Handbags to help lubricate the politicians :o
then off down the NAAFI Bop  8)

Serotonin

Noones mentioned Memoir 44 yet- its another Richard Borg wragme/boardgamne based on the Command and Colours system and its really fun. WW2 themed and theres loads of expansions that cover every theeatre of WW2. For anyone curious woith a PC theres a free version of it on Steam thats very well done.

Also on the Borg theme- anyone played Battle Cry or Battle Lore. Im tempted with Battle Cry (ACW) as it was the first Command and Colours game and therefore might be simpler (they are all fairly simple to be fair) becuase my 6yr old son is beginning to want to play wargames and as he already enjoys boardgames, this might be a good way in. I suspect he would like batte Lores setting (fantasy) more though, but apparently it adds in lots of new stuff like diffeent races and magic etc.

Fenton

How about the old Standard Games Cry Havoc etc, great games and many happy hours spent plying the Outremer scenarios
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Fenton on 26 November 2012, 07:48:26 PM
How about the old Standard Games Cry Havoc etc, great games and many happy hours spent plying the Outremer scenarios
The combat system was absurd; the numbers favoured the defence to the extent that a peasant would beat a knight.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Hertsblue

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Diplomacy. Our club adjusted the map slightly (well, OK, a lot) and used it as the basis for a Renaissance campaign that ran for five years. Only trouble with the basic game is that it takes about that long to play. :(
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

FierceKitty

Diplomacy gets onto my top ten too. Great for playing with moves every second day if you work in the right sort of company.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.