Clutter

Started by Dave Fielder, 05 December 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Did someone use the word "standard" in a wargaming context? There's no such thing! We all march to our own drum. I would love casualty markers on my tables, but I know darn well they will never happen - simply because I'd far rather paint up fighting troops than mess around with peripherals.

Besides, I've always felt that there's something a little macabre about dead and wounded on a games table.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

mollinary

So HB, I respect your view regarding casualties, but what of other ways of representing the decline in unit effectiveness that the markers represent?   A figure running away, no hat, no weapon, for example? 

Mollinary     
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Paint it Pink

I have no problem with using nice models for markers, but it take time to do this and I never seem to have enough time to just get the basics done, let alone the nice extras.
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Albie Bach

06 December 2012, 11:09:37 AM #18 Last Edit: 06 December 2012, 11:32:55 AM by Albie Bach
There are laser marked MDF tokens available (including causalty counters) for those who don't want to use dice/counters/winegums.
Generic, easy to store, relatively unobtrusive and inexpensive.
For general use I'm happy with dice and counters and don't consider them clutter.
Cheers, Colin
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

FierceKitty

Sprinkle red powder paint in the wake of a fleeing unit to show shed blood?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sebigboss79

Depends and I can understand there is considerable argument.

First of all we have different ideas what clutter is. But I think it is quite up to the gaming parties what is acceptable under which circumstances.

Sometimes I have little issue with opponents mug of coffe being on the table. Simply because the other tables are occupied and it does not really hinder at that point.

Dice is another issue. Rolled dice should be removed asap, they are just in the way for the next roll, movement etc. As in casualty markers take a look at minibits dice frames. My 10mm armies will all hold dice  frames and coloured dice as to mark current unit strength. Problem solved.

For other items (bag of crisps, sandwich etc) there is a chair, table reserved next to the gaming table. Such stuff is simply unacceptable on the board. Rulebook belongs offboard as rules should be memorised and if need be the rulebok can be quickly accessed anyways.

So much for my oppinion on this

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 05 December 2012, 11:14:14 AM
What about 'work desks' ?....Let alone gaming tables ! ;)

Dont worry Techno - " A clear desk is the sign of a sick mind!" :D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Hertsblue

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 07 December 2012, 08:00:15 AM
Dont worry Techno - " A clear desk is the sign of a sick mind!" :D

Yeah, nothing inspired ever came out of a tidy mind.  :P
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
But I've ended up being SUCH a hypocrite.....In articles I've written in the dim and distant past, I always stressed that you need to keep your desk tidy. ;)
Unless your me, of course.
Cheers - Phil.

OldenBUA

"Ordnung braucht nur der Dumme, das Genie beherrscht das Chaos." - Albert Einstein

:D
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

FierceKitty

Eine Tasse Kaffee, bitte.
  - Freud (attributed)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Albie Bach

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 December 2012, 11:58:27 AM
Eine Tasse Kaffee, bitte.
  - Freud (attributed)
As long as you don't put it on the gaming table.  ;D
Colin
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

sebigboss79

Ein deutscher Gruß? Hier im Forum?  :o

German Greetings from Edinburgh  :-h

Rob

ein großes Bier bitte