WWII rules for 10mm?

Started by Baker Boy, 11 November 2012, 08:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baker Boy

Which dedicated thread would that be please? 

rexhurley

17 November 2012, 11:08:24 AM #32 Last Edit: 17 November 2012, 11:12:28 AM by rexhurley
Quote from: Luddite on 12 November 2012, 10:32:33 AM
No good mate, he's looking 'for rules which give a fairly historical'.  FoW certainly isn't that.

The premiere rules are Blitzkrieg Commander (BkC) as many have said.  Personally i'm not too keen on them, but they're certainly popular and do the job well enough (they work far better as a fantasy/sci-fi set in my opinion).

I'd suggest Spearhead as the best ruleset to go for, but they're difficult to get hold of, hard to read (following the Avalon Hill 1970's layout style), and can be a bit impenetrable for the new player.  However, they're the closest i've come to a playable historically accurate WWII set at tactical scale.  

One of the most interesting things about Spearhead is your forces are mostly locked in to following their pre-battle orders which forces you to plan and follow through on those plans unless you want your commanders fantically running around the battlefield trying to get their formations to do something else.  Models the command friction very well...

However...yeah...BkC to start.  
Can you still get copies of BkC though?

Re BKC Online you can but is it historical umm no its a game...like FOW.....like IABSM...like WRG all depends on your cup of tea eh..... ;)

Re FOW Why give it a miss if you havent tried it?  A lot of new people like it for the game it is, just the vet grognards on here hate it....but hey to be expected when some of them contribute to the opposition rules  :P

Then of course there is the new Bolt Action if your a 40k fan, umm and the list and opinions are endless.  :)

Enjoy your gaming  :D

Luddite

Quote from: rexhurley on 17 November 2012, 11:08:24 AM
Re FOW Why give it a miss if you havent tried it?

Played it quite a bit for a historical campaign we were doing on the Mediterranean campaign.  Truely dreadful.

QuoteA lot of new people like it for the game it is, just the vet grognards on here hate it....but hey to be expected when some of them contribute to the opposition rules  :P

'vet grognards'?  No need for insults sir.

QuoteThen of course there is the new Bolt Action if your a 40k fan, umm and the list and opinions are endless.  :)

Played it recently.  A really interesting ruleset.  I suspect we may be using it for our AVBCW games rather than (or possibly as well as) WWII though.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I like FOW, but then, I am Mad! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

rexhurley

Quote from: Luddite on 17 November 2012, 05:42:39 PM
Played it quite a bit for a historical campaign we were doing on the Mediterranean campaign.  Truely dreadful.

'vet grognards'?  No need for insults sir.

Played it recently.  A really interesting ruleset.  I suspect we may be using it for our AVBCW games rather than (or possibly as well as) WWII though.

note pokey tongue luddite Im taking the mickey  :D

Hertsblue

Quote from: mad lemmey on 17 November 2012, 05:48:51 PM
I like FOW, but then, I am Mad! ;)

Madness is next to genius, Lemmey. Or is it the other way round?  :-\
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Baker Boy

I got IABSM in the post on Saturday, still waiting on BKC?  IABSM looks very interesting, the ranges should look good with 10mm. 

Does anyone know if the cards for the game can be purchased?

Luddite

Yep i think you can buy them from the TFL site.  Alternately there are lots of free download options out their or you can just make your own (not too difficult).

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

OldenBUA

I bought IABSM at the Antwerp Crisis show. The TFL bloke I was chatting to said that the cards are now out of stock, and a reprint is not likely. So download and/or home-made seems the way to go.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

kustenjaeger

OldenBUA

Edward,

Thanks for that. I had found some other samples, but not this one. It looks like it will do nicely.

Alex
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.