vallejo ink vs wah

Started by Nav, 19 August 2012, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nav

what is the difference between a vallejo ink and wash and has any one out there have experience in using them?

robert

I could not answer until today as i have just used my large pot of Vallejo sienna wash for the first time..........

been using brown ink - watered down - as a final wash to figures - okay but a bit shiny and sometimes sticks where I don't particularly want it to show prominently.

Very pleased with the wash - which it says is for 'dipping'.  I took a chance and just sloshed some on with a large soft brush - straight from the pot - on a few recently finished figures and was happy to see it darken without obscuring and also of course running into crevices, strap outlines etc.  The figures have dried and I am really pleased - very dulled down but outlined and matt - in larger scales may be tempted to do shiny bits in the shiny colour again but in this scale it all works very well.

I am converted to the wash and will stop using the ink - which I was probably not using in the right way anyway.

PS Leon - I would have bought this and the large pot of white primer I got from Minibits but neither were listed as stocked.
That is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put - Winston Churchill

GordonY

Good to hear Robert, I use a custom "Magic" wash, but always on the look out for alternatives, is this wash water or thinners clean up of yer brushes?

Looks like you have summat else to start stocking Leon.

robert

I just used water - seems okay - the wash is not thick or gooey.

I started using the Vallejo alcohol brush cleaner every now and again - amazing as the brushes (not cheap) are lasting MUCH longer - good result there too!
That is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put - Winston Churchill

Leon

Quote from: robert on 23 August 2012, 04:03:19 PM
PS Leon - I would have bought this and the large pot of white primer I got from Minibits but neither were listed as stocked.

Quote from: GordonY on 23 August 2012, 04:41:41 PM
Looks like you have summat else to start stocking Leon.

I've got the Washes in the Game Colour range here: http://www.minibits.net/Vallejo-Game-Color-c20/Washes-sc53/ and the Inks here: http://www.minibits.net/Vallejo-Game-Color-c20/Game-Inks-sc51/ but I don't have the large pots of primer there yet.  I am planning to extend the Vallejo stock to cover most of their products, but at the moment it's a case of juggling the finances to cover both restocks and new items!

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GordonY

I think if we're talking washes Leon we'd be looking for this fella

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=val_hob_wsh_wsh_200_000

200ml for £7 as opposed to 17ml for £2

robert

Exactly so - similar savings with big primers too...................

Fenton

If any of you are members of the Baccus forum then this will be old news

There has been a bit of discussion recently about painting 6mm and I think that 10mm is very similar

For this method you would spray your figures grey a Halfords Grey Primer would do, then wash them in Vajello Black Wash to bring up the detail, then paint in flat colours then wash with W&N Nut Brown ink...I sometimes highlight after this but its not usually not that necessary

For another tip and I have to thank Dr Mike and Quarks painting for this ..Try using Vajello Deck Tan instead of White. Strangley it looks a better whilte than normal white does on smaller figures
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Jim Ando

Hi

I use devlan mud or whatever they call it these days. But I`m not impressed with the new stuff (new name new manufacturer) so are vellajo washes any good.

Jim

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Humbrol due to bring out new range of weathering stuff soon too...  :-\
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!