KD's Winter Germans and Russians

Started by Kiwidave, 17 April 2012, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldenBUA

From a German modelling site. It applies to guns in the same way as vehicles, they all used the same method.

"In general, World War II white winter paint overcoats were applied with temporary paints or pastes. These overcoats were applied in various ways, using a spray gun, brush, broom, or rag, depending upon the resources of the vehicle’s crew. They were often applied on a dirty surface, and were subject to harsh weather conditions. Consequently, the temporary paints did not wear well, and soon began to rub off, revealing the original color of the vehicle, along with its dirt. Also, the white would mix with dirt causing it to turn a muddy color. In time, the winter painted tank would look quite motley with portions of the white worn or washed off, the underlying color revealed, and lots of dirt and streaky mud effects."

http://www.miniatures.de/winter.html

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Kiwidave

nikharwood

Rubicon

OldenBUA

Yeah, brush, broom and rag is the painting technique that you need to master.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Kiwidave

Not much progress on this lot, as I got distracted by painting some scenery http://kiwidave.pbworks.com/w/page/7780162/Scenery%20-%2010mm (the ones that the bottom of the page)

nikharwood

Kiwidave

Cheers Nik! They came out better than I expected :)

Hertsblue

Like the canal. Just the right feature to grace(?) a WW2 landscape.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Kiwidave

More distractions :

Pendraken PS41

Pendraken PS40

Not entirely convinced by the snow, but it does the job :)

(And I had man-flu last week, so these were easier to do and didn't require vast amount of focus/concentration)

Hertsblue

Up close the snow looks a bit grainy - but fine from a distance I would guess.  :-bd

www.rulesdepot.net

Kiwidave

Yeah - I was hoping it was going to come out flatter, but as the GF9 snow is quite grainy, I'll have to live with it. Or maybe come up with a better way - make a paste perhaps?

Hertsblue

I did hear of people using flour for snow. You'd have to seal it, I think.  :-\

www.rulesdepot.net

nikharwood

Quote from: Kiwidave on 24 May 2012, 09:04:10 AM
Or maybe come up with a better way - make a paste perhaps?

That's what I do mate - mix up PVA, water, white paint & your snow...looks like this: