KD's Winter Germans and Russians

Started by Kiwidave, 17 April 2012, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwidave

17 April 2012, 10:25:24 PM Last Edit: 17 April 2012, 10:28:35 PM by Kiwidave
I recently bought some winter German and Russian figures, and this has reinvigorated my painting and gaming enthusiasm, which had been sadly lacking over the last few months.

Here I'll post my progress with getting them based and painted, starting with the Wehrmacht.

Bases sorted out, and ready to be assembled (once I buy some more superglue). These will give me either an almost full strength battalion, or two half-strength ones, plus regimental support. Based for BKC II.

Steve J

Glad you are back in the groove KD, and I shall watch the progress with interest.

Kiwidave

Phase 2: undercoated. Used Plasticote grey. I'll be experimenting with inking with black at this stage, then doing drybrushing and detailing, raher than doing the inking at the end. It may not make any difference, but you never know!

Whole lot:

CO:

Inked infantry base - I think it needs more/denser ink - this one has been thinned beforehand.

Leon

The ink looks quite good, I'm interested to see if it has much affect after you've got them painted up.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Hertsblue

The ink certainly brings out the detail, but aren't you going to cover it all up again when you put the next coat on? Either that or you're going to have to paint around it fairly accurately.  :-\
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Kiwidave

Quote from: Hertsblue on 25 April 2012, 09:21:54 AM
The ink certainly brings out the detail, but aren't you going to cover it all up again when you put the next coat on? Either that or you're going to have to paint around it fairly accurately.  :-\

I'm aiming at drybrushing a lighter grey or white (as whim dictates), then picking out detail. However, this may not work as expected because a) the ink isn't dark enough; b) my drybrushing will be too vigourous; c) my eyes are starting to let me down, so doing the detail may become a pain.

I probably should have done them with a black undercoat, but I've found that trying to get white looking half-way decent on a black undercoat takes forever....

I'll do an update later this week hopefully :)

Matt J

something to try KD. If you are washing over your base paint use watered down darker shade paint (black in the case of over grey) as opposed to inks.
It's a much thicker coverage but I find gives a better tonal effect. It looks messy but as you are highlighting after it not a problem.

The process I use is Base colour, wash with watered down darker shade, 1st highlight with original highlight, 2nd highlight original colour 50% plus 50% other lighter shade, 3rd highlight if required, done. I don't dry brush or overwash (then again I am a bit anal and it takes ages to finish anything)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Kiwidave

Cheers Matt :) I too am a bit ****, and find it difficult to to the last 10% of a project in case it doesn't come out perfect.... :(

fred.

I've tried the wash over base coat the paint. But have gone back to white base coat, block paint with thinned colours ( which gives shading and highlighting ) and then a pale brown wash over the top.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Kiwidave

Well, the thinned black paint as a wash didnlt quite work, but it wasn't too bad. At least it gave am a dark base to work form.

Have now done two semi-dry brushes with a medium and a light grey:

CO

Infantry

Pak 40

Engineers

105mm gun

Next step is to do random white bits - helmets, jackets; trousers, then on to detail.

Matt J

looks like you have a good base to work from there
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

mijalo

Looking forward to the next installments in how your force's painting is progressing

Kiwidave

Dopey question time: what colour should I painting heavy equipment (principally infantry guns and anti-tank guns for 1943/44)? Base coat of Dunkelgelb with a white-wash effect, or a base coat of white with maybe a camo pattern? My Google-Fu is weak on this ....

Steve J

They could be dunkelgelb with brown or green camo on them, or a combination of both. For '43 you would probably find stuff still in dark grey, possibly with dunklegelb camo on that. Hope this helps?

Kiwidave

Even in winter? I guess I could go for dunklegelb + camo with a rough white over-brush...