Battles of the Nineteenth Century

Started by hamsterking, 31 March 2012, 12:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamsterking

I presume most people are aware of the joys of the Internet Archive which can be found at http://archive.org/

Recently I have been dipping into the seven volumes of "Battles of the Nineteenth Century" by Archibald Forbes, G.A. Henty and "other well known writers". As far as I can tell these voulmes were out together in 1890s.
Archibald Forbes was a famous war correspondent and Henty was a famous writer of historical fiction for boys. You can find much of their other work on the Internet archive site.

Actions covered range from the famous to the obscure and while the coverage is inevitably slanted towards actions involving the British there is reasonable coverage on other actions. The text is supported by maps, drawings and prints, colour prints and for later engagements photographs. You will recognise many of the photographs and drawins from more modern works and it's obvious that these volumes have been heavilly drawn on for pictorial material by modern authors.

Volume VI is devoted exclusively to the first part of the  Boer War and Volume VII to the second part of the Boer War, the Boxer Rebellion and the Ashanti War of 1900.

All in all a most useful source.

Ben Waterhouse