Falklands War - Early Wip pics.

Started by Techno, 01 January 2012, 10:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

USS Phoenix in WWII, Brooklyn class light cruiser.  Ugly looking beast, with more 6" guns than you could shake a stick at.  Argentinians also got  a sister ship from the US, but she was scrapped in 1978.

Mollinary (is there no end to the sadness of my anorakisms?)
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nicely put sir!
Her US name had escaped me! I would have got round to that, but my left handed typing with baby asleep on the other hand the last one took  me forever!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Just to prove Mollianry aint the worst - Phoniex has 2 claims to fame in WWII, can you name em ?

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Only got the one, Pearl Harbour...  ???
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

Quote from: ianrs54 on 18 August 2012, 08:24:22 AM
Just to prove Mollianry aint the worst - Phoniex has 2 claims to fame in WWII, can you name em ?

IanS

"Thus a ship which had participated in the opening drama of the war in the Pacific and emerged unscathed,  and which - at the Battle of Surigao Strait -  took part in the last battleship action and the last great surface naval battle in history,  became the first large warship,  and the only cruiser,  to be sunk in action since 1945,  and  - even more notably  -  the first ship in history to be sunk in action by a nuclear submarine."

Howzat?

From here: http://www.angelfire.com/fm/odyssey/LEYTE_USS_Phoenix_.htm

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Still miossing one - MacAurthers flagship in 43?

IanS  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: mart678 on 17 August 2012, 06:32:54 PM
Does he want PRE sinking or will a 10mm Lifeboat do
Regards
Mart
Nice falkands figures phil

I'd go for the lifeboat Mart !... ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: mad lemmey on 17 August 2012, 07:14:07 PM
...and that's not who Techno is making, guess again!

Oooooh.... I know, I know....Do I get a prize if I get it right ? :D
(Though I suppose I DO have a very slight advantage. ;))
Cheers - Phil.

Cheers - Phil

nikharwood

Quote from: ianrs54 on 18 August 2012, 10:13:40 AM
Still miossing one - MacAurthers flagship in 43?

IanS  :D

Really?

"MacArthur accompanied the assault force aboard USS Phoenix, the flagship of Vice Admiral Thomas C. Kinkaid, who had recently replaced Carpender as commander of the Seventh Fleet."

From: MacArthur: America's General: Mitchell Yockelson, p167

:)

Hertsblue

As an army general McArthur would never have had a flagship, since a) he wasn't a sailor, an b) he had no flag to hoist (not on a ship, at any rate).
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Techno

30 August 2012, 04:38:10 PM #175 Last Edit: 30 August 2012, 04:47:06 PM by Leon

The last lot of Argies (for the time being)......Plus a generic dog dolly that I can play around with to my heart's content, once it's been moulded and cast up.
Looks ENORMOUS at this angle.....May well have to have another go with that one....Or use metal masters and do some savage surgery !.....Bummocks !!  ;) ;D
Cheers - Phil

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Nosher

These look fab Techno ;)

How many argie figures are there altogether in the range now?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Techno

30 August 2012, 05:07:22 PM #178 Last Edit: 30 August 2012, 05:23:39 PM by Techno
Hmmmm.... :-\
I was basing the height of his 'back'...against one of our labs....Who, for one of that particular breed is very tall....But I think I've gone a tad over the top ?
I'm as near as dammit 6 feet tall and "Leggy's" back comes to about 4 inches above the top of my knee.
Maybe comparing him against the most upright of the figures (Chap firing the Blowpipe) he's not quite as daft as I think ?
I can certainly 'play' with the metal masters. ;)
Quote from: Nosher on 30 August 2012, 04:52:49 PM
These look fab Techno ;)
How many argie figures are there altogether in the range now?

I've lost count Nosher....I'll try and check a bit later.
(Gosh I'm quick..I'm back already !)
Don't take this as Gospel.......But I make it I've made 51 British (including beret to helmet conversions) with three more conversions still to do for the mortar team....PLUS..Lemmey's, Leon's and my 'secret' figure......So 55 British in total ?
And I make it 18 Argentinian......Don't think I'm due to convert those.

Still a very small number to do for both sides for some of the artillery.

Cheers - Phil.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Well we know it had the potential to be a one sided conflict, but nearly 3-1 in favour of the British!!  :D