Stripping paint

Started by Maenoferren, 27 December 2011, 08:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maenoferren

As my dinosaurs have had a bit of bad luck and are chipped to hell  :'( :'( >:( >:( .think the best idea is to strip them and start again, the colours were all mixed so a swine to match  and then gloss varnished.I have heard that brake fluid does the job, but never tried it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

FierceKitty

I know a few strippers; I'll ask them if they've got any advice.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

28 December 2011, 08:13:47 AM #3 Last Edit: 28 December 2011, 08:20:04 AM by Techno
Does Nitromors 'eat' into plastic ?

Cheers - Phil. (I did hear once that Steradent works....Don't know whether that's an old wives tale, and I've never tried it myself...So I can't really comment.)

SerialLoser

I tend to soak old figs overnight in Dettol, removes acrylic paint nicely. the active ingredient id Pine Oil, so anything with that in should strip them down.

fred.

Don't use nitromors on plastic, it will dissolve the figures along with the paint. It is good on thick old paint on metal figures.

Pine oil based cleaners work well and are much less toxic than paint stripper.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Gandalf

Quote from: Techno on 28 December 2011, 08:13:47 AM
Does Nitromors 'eat' into plastic ?

I was assuming metal figures.  Don't use Notromors on plastics as it will wreck them  ;D
Have you seen the rivets on that?

Leman

Do use nitromors on Fr.Jack - it will keep him calm.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sebigboss79

For Metal Figures: Paint thinner, White Spirit or Turpentine. Leave there for 2-3 days and then scrub with old toothbrush. 3 days bath in Isopropanol. Scrub again. Voila.

For Plastics: Use Isopropanol for 3-5 days and scrub.

Results are not 100 % but good enough to repaint. To avoid chipping use a clear topcoat and transport your figures accordingly.

Kiwidave

Fairy Power Spray is pretty good too

Maenoferren

Quote from: sebigboss79 on 28 December 2011, 01:03:55 PM
To avoid chipping use a clear topcoat and transport your figures accordingly.
Unfortunately there is no known method to stop chpping  when open box of aforementioned figures are catapulted across the kitchen by a toddler when ones back is turned :D :D :D

Gandalf

Quote from: Maenoferren on 29 December 2011, 12:54:15 AM
Unfortunately there is no known method to stop chpping  when open box of aforementioned figures are catapulted across the kitchen by a toddler when ones back is turned :D :D :D
Tragic  :'(
Have you seen the rivets on that?

Maenoferren

Tragic indeed, I was so disheartened they went into a box and no more dino hunts took place, but hurrah they are now sitting in their own bath of white spirit.
whereas I normally dont endorse any one particular product
after snapping three stanley knife blades, cutting through a cutting mat into the pine table and richochetting bits of plastic at my wife and kids... i hereby announce that
(quick drumroll)
very long pause
THe stickiest glue to ensure a metal 10mm dinosaur wont come off a plastic base.....ever is:
drum roll
very long pause
Gorilla glue super glue
never have i had so much bother getting a figure off a base, even when half the base hadnt glued, it still wouldnt shift. i ended up in one instance having to leave a bit of the base on the figure as it snapped and I couldnt budge it, and as I am fond of my fingers I didnt fancy trying anything silly with the stanelu knife.

Techno

I am SO nervous about posting the best (but easily available) 'paint stripper' (only for METAL figures)...The substance 'Wot I know' dissolves enamel and acrylic paints so you only only have to give them a shake to get back to pristine metal after a short time.
Fair enough... You end up with a 'goo' that has to go somewhere.....Not down the sink, if you have plastic pipes....and you mustn't be a smoker....BOOM !....

But it does work brilliantly

Cheers - Phil.

stormrider

I've been stripping a lot of models lately but it's getting me some off looks from the wife...

I'm using nail polish remover and at quite a rate too, but on the plus side, it's cheap and works very fast too.

Not sure about using it on plastics, not tested it, but on metal I've not used anything more effective. Only work of warning, after a couple of hours of scrubbing models with it, it can start to do some damage to your fingers. I tried pine based cleaning fluids but they didn't work on anything that had been varnished even after a couple of weeks soaking.