dipping 10mm, ask for help

Started by jchaos79, 01 November 2011, 11:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jchaos79

Hi,

I have a bunch of 10mm figures in flat vivid colors and would like to dip them. I never dip before and as also I do not have exprience using inks as I do not usually use them in my paint style.

Sooo.... any advice/tips/self experience/guide/help/photos to dip 10mm?

Which product would you use?

Hargon

Would be interessted in some advice and maybe even pictures of the final looks too. :)

Leman

I don't dip, I brush it on as this helps to regulate how much shade I get (especially over colours like white and yellow). I also thin when necessary using white spirit.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

theres been quite a few disccusions on here about dipping and army painter, this one is the longest thread

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,2183.0.html
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

jchaos79

Ok, thank you all, specially Fenton to point me to this threat.

Dave T

I've tried Army painter and GW washes on ACW.  I found Army painter a bit heavy for 10mm, even when painted on.  It dulled the figures & detail a lot.

GW washes worked better as I could choose the tint on the areas (I used flesh on the skin areas, devlan mud on the uniforms) and only apply it where it would give a good effect.
It was a good result on grubby grey/brown confeds, not really noticeable on the union troops.

all the best, Dave T.

Dickie255

I'll second Dave T's suggestion of GW washes. I use either Devlan mud or Gryphonne Sepia, which I found is more subtle than the mud. Sorry no photo's as I've only got my phone camera which isn't very good

Techno

If anyone...Anywhere in the world.....Can still buy the colour Rotring inks...Give me a shout !
Always thought they were by far and away the absolute best for washes....Sadly don't seem to exist anymore.

Cheers - Phil.

VonGottschall

Magic Wash with Pledge with Future Shine. Really, much better in this scale and you can choose your own colors.

I know people use Dip and Army Painter but as others have stated, I think in this scale it tends to dull things too much. 10mm and smaller need to be even brighter than 15mm to "pop". I friend of mine switched away from black priming as a matter of fact and I must stay that the dark brown primer seems to work better.

I have seen successful dipping and going back with a highlight but the Magic Wash eliminates this need as it doesn't tint the high spots as long as your painting surface is faily smooth. Grainy paint surfaces can cause even Magic Wash to pool in areas you don't want it too.

Back to what I said about bright paint, don't be afraid to go a shade or two brighter with 10mm. they really do look better this way IMO, especially with uniformed troops.

Leman

Is this Magic Wash made by the Pledge furniture polish people? And from where can it be bought?

Fenton

You can buy it at Sainsburys (where I have seen it) so presumbly at Tescos as well, though on 10mm figures I think the GW washes work better
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

nikharwood

'Magic' wash is something you make yourself rather than a ready-made product off the shelf - there are numerous 'recipes' - mine is here:

http://nikharwood.pbworks.com/w/page/7825490/Standard%20technique

- based on Klear floor polish...and I've added to the original mix over the years - it's had all manner of different inks lobbed into it [icluding GW washes]. I've also got a black mix too which doesn't get used as much really.

Leman

Thanks for that Nik - I've bookmarked it as there are other techniques in there I will find useful, especially as my tins of dip are starting to skin over - expensive nuisance.

sebigboss79

No dipping under any circumstances!

If you use Army Painter brush it on and remove excess. If you use a Coat d' Arms Shader brush and remove excess. Both will need a non shiny topcoat.
Hope this helps.