Best way to stuck in the tusks?

Started by Sevej, 05 October 2011, 06:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevej

So I'm getting used with 1 piece metal figures, and was a little surprised when received my mammoth. With separate tusks. Monster tusks to boot  :o I think I'm going to cut them to size to make them more practical to game with. But since it's been awhile since the last time I glue metal to metal, I'm wondering if anyone got tips and creative ideas to make the construction as rigid as possible. Note that pinning is not an option for me.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Scar the area to be glued first. Epoxy will give the strongest joint, but the tusks will need supporting, superglee is faster, but only joints in 1 plane, should work OK for tusks.

In either case leave for an hour, and support the tusks for that period of time.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

If you've got a small drill bit, you can drill a small hole in the mammoth casting, and the tusk will slot nicely into it.  A bit of superglue, and you're good to go.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

I think I assembled mine the way Leon suggests. A shallow hole drilled into the head is all that is required, then some super glue. I don't really remember assembling it, which means it must have been straight forward. Unlike some other minis - Minifigs Stuart tanks still haunt me  >:(
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Sandinista

I did it the Leon way  ;)  has given a sturdy result, survives gaming handling fine

nikharwood

Another method would be the "GS weld" - mix up a small amount of green [or grey] stuff; drop a small ball into the 'socket', add a small ball to the tusk end - then bang a dab of superglue onto both & fuse together...almost indestructible [& way quicker / less fiddly than fecking about pinning things]  :)