Using non-miniautre-painting-specific acrylics

Started by Sevej, 29 August 2011, 03:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sevej

Guys, I'm in dire need of white paint. My white paint is no longer usable. Buying vallejo/citadel paints locally is out of the question, and I just can't wait for another 3 weeks of shipping from UK (FYI... importing from UK will net me twice the amount of bottles when compared to buying locally...).

There's some generic acrylic paints being sold around here, the Reeves brand and Marie's brand (no Humbrol though). Has anyone used these kind of paints? Anything I should be aware of?

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Sevej on 29 August 2011, 03:46:39 PM
Guys, I'm in dire need of white paint. My white paint is no longer usable. Buying vallejo/citadel paints locally is out of the question, and I just can't wait for another 3 weeks of shipping from UK (FYI... importing from UK will net me twice the amount of bottles when compared to buying locally...).

There's some generic acrylic paints being sold around here, the Reeves brand and Marie's brand (no Humbrol though). Has anyone used these kind of paints? Anything I should be aware of?

I use generic acrylics all the time and they're fine. Only mixing the right colour can be a bitch, matching your familiar Vallejo colours for instance won't be easy. You should keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I use Reeve here in Blighty, they're fine apart from teh red is a bit translucent!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Use all types all the time, basic colours for artists are MUCH MUCH cheaper.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just turn the pack over before you buy it and see how many stars are on it, more stars, better quality pigment and how long ot will go without fading...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

NTM

I use art and craft acrylics almost exclusively these days. Not familiar with the Marie brand but I have used Reeve which  is not my favourite I have to say, those I have used needed 2 or 3 coats generally. My current preferred options are Hobbycrafts own brand and Americana Craft Paint.

Pruneau

I'm not too fond of Reeve myself, but in general I have to agree, if you go for artist paints get good paint, and if possible go for light and runny paint like golden fluid acrylics, I love those.  They tend to dry into less of a coaty film or filmy coat, thicker paints can put a real layer on your figs.

I use the cheapo acrylics as well, but mainly for drybrushing bits of terrain and buildings.

And get some good flow improver, I have golden and I like the way it makes the paint flow.  Dilute it 1:10 for a nice runny consistence.

The mixing is another matter though, as already pointed out by Aart.  Sometimes the mixes go all funny, like when you darker or lighten browns.
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Aquahog

I use Daler Rowney's Graduate acrylics for black and mix-in white. As it's the colors I use the most it's a good saving.

VonGottschall

Liquitex is readily available in the U.S. and is priced fairly. You can get the Hobby Lobby or Michael's coupons for 40 or 50 percent off. Often they will put the whole line on sale. Apologies if you don't live in the U.S. Winsor Newton are awesome paints as well. I suspect others are good too but I don't have experience with them. I know there is a difference between Liquitex Academy and their regular line and I would get the regular line. I actually get some of the Liquitex pot paints. Expensive but VERY good.

If I had it to do over again, I would have mostly tube acrylics. Caveat being that you get opaque paints. More work but using a wet palette actually means less work in the longer run. The negative is that you will be mixing colors and you need to learn to do this. Fortunately there are color recipes out there for artists that work great.

I use a mixture of hobby and craft paints. I only use higher quality craft paints like Delta and Aeleene's (not available anymore but mine have stayed liquid; they produce another brand of paint for ceramics that is the same quality though, just less shades from what the manufacturer tells me) But again, I would start over with tubes if I had it to do over again.

hamsterking

I've used "sample pots" of house paint type acrylics quite sucessfully. They are great for painting terrain and bases but I've also used them them for painting miniatures with no problems. They are available at your local hardware shop and compared to any other source of paints they are dirt cheap.

Whether or not they work for you will depend on your painting style.

Dave Turner

lentulus

Nothing wrong with craft acrylics.  I only use something else if I need a specific color.

Leman

I like Anita's acrylics. They have some colour mixes not found elsewhere, eg. Periwinkle - great for FPW Bavarians.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

NTM

I've used Anita's too but as I can't get it locally anymore moved on to Deco Art and recently discovered the docrafts Artiste range which I'm impressed with so far.

WarrenAbox

Quote from: lentulus on 26 December 2011, 11:53:08 PM
Nothing wrong with craft acrylics.  I only use something else if I need a specific color.

Yeah, the big exception in my experience is metallics.  The crafter metallic paints look horrible on figures.  For steel, gold, and silver you really need to go with any of the miniature specific paints.

Hertsblue

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 28 December 2011, 01:01:37 PM
I like Anita's acrylics. They have some colour mixes not found elsewhere, eg. Periwinkle - great for FPW Bavarians.

And 1866 Saxons.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net