Markers in your games

Started by OldenBUA, 16 August 2011, 02:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What type of markers would you LIKE to use in your games?

Anything! Dice, counters, tiddlywinks, Smarties.
18 (69.2%)
Only markers that blend in with the terrain.
5 (19.2%)
Properly painted and based models.
3 (11.5%)
Nothing! I write it all down. Markers are the devils invention!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: 23 August 2011, 02:31:21 PM

Luddite

There's a market here Leon.    ;)
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Quote from: Luddite on 18 August 2011, 05:56:28 PM
There's a market here Leon.    ;)

Yep. there certainly is!  As soon as I get some coloured acrylic and some time to do the designs...
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

OldenBUA

Thanks for all reactions.

With nearly 70% of the voters happy to use all kinds of bits, I'm not so sure there really is a market for dedicated markers. But to each his own, I guess. And ofcourse, it also depends on the rules that you use. For now, I'll stick with my tiny dice and other bits for BKC.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Luddite

Quote from: OldenBUA on 24 August 2011, 10:20:06 AM
I'm not so sure there really is a market for dedicated markers. But to each his own, I guess.

If they're right for the game i'm playing i'll certainly buy them.  Nice, small, muted, discreet.  anything that keeps the 'clutter' to a minimum is a good thing in my opinion.  Dedicated measuring tools is also something i'd buy.  chap at the club's got a really neat little custom-made tool for Field of Glory measuring.  Very nice.

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

OldenBUA

Quote from: Luddite on 24 August 2011, 10:26:30 AM
If they're right for the game i'm playing i'll certainly buy them. 

I think that's the basic problem with this, so many rules, so many different markers needed.

But yes, there is a market for this kind of stuff. Not only markers, but tools as well. I remember my trusty DBM measuring stick that had all the different moves of the various troop types printed on it.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Luddite

Quote from: OldenBUA on 24 August 2011, 11:37:10 AM
I think that's the basic problem with this, so many rules, so many different markers needed.

True but there are definately some 'generic' markers that are common to all games.

And adding to that with dedicated sets together for the most popular rulesets would be a good way to go.

NTM

Quote from: OldenBUA on 24 August 2011, 11:37:10 AM
But yes, there is a market for this kind of stuff. Not only markers, but tools as well. I remember my trusty DBM measuring stick that had all the different moves of the various troop types printed on it.

Precision Wargame Supplies still produce a lot of that sort of stuff

kustenjaeger

Greetings

Litko do a load of stuff but most of the material I've seen at shows has been to pricey for the benefits. 

Regards

Edward

Last Hussar

I'd prefer to use 'period'markers - dead men for casualty in BP etc.  However it can be fiddly, not least because I match markers to battalions.  I was playing against Sunjester, and he had beaten me to the punch and had officers that Leon found for me as First Fire markers.  I suddenly let out a groan- I KNOW that it will feel wrong of I dont match marker to regiment.

More practically we use the 'money' from the WizKids Pirate game- gold serif numbers on a black background.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Dragoon

I've seen 15mm games where themarker is almost as high as a cavalryman. It goes without saying that this would spoil a 10mm game.
It's one of the problems in a game where a base of figures requires more than one hit before a base is removed.
I like the idea of casualty figures as markers (horses and men) but it does depend on the rules, and most rules don't handle casualty tracking and removal very well.

As casualties consist of; dead, wounded (immobile) and walking wounded, men helping a wounded friend.
For the purposes of a wargame :- dead, walking wounded and helpers. The latter as morale fails.
Artillery munition is visible ie. a stack of ball on a monkey.
A discrete marker could be a thin card base to match terrain with a very small stone glued on.

Mike
Regards

Mike L