Motivation techniques

Started by Leman, 27 July 2011, 12:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Painting figures is enjoyable, but sometimes a gamer gets part-way through a project and then is distracted by something else taking the fancy - we've all been there. I am now ploughing through a FPW project and have found that if I set up and paint a half regiment, then I have to get on with the other half to complete. I also make life more difficult for myself by separating the different poses as well, so even when half the figures are done I can't go on and base up and complete the first battalion until the other pose figures have been painted (it also has the benefit of allowing varnish to prove properly).

Does anyone else out there have any motivational ideas?

DP
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

nikharwood

For me it's about painting an army at a time: if I have *everything* in front of me, it'll happen; if I try to do a unit [or a few units] at a time, then I'll get distracted.

Music also helps - or a DVD on in the background [matched to what I'm painting].

Oh - and I never try to force it: if I'm in the mood, I'll paint like a man possessed. If I'm not, I'll do something else.  :)

Arsenus

I paint when i am in the mood with CD or DVD (an old TV serie like Space Sheriff Gavan).

I set a goal like painting a whole regiment a day, for example.
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

FierceKitty

For me the chief rule is not to set any deadlines, but I MUST paint something every day. Working on one army at a time, this gets things done.
The other is catching my wife when she's bored and inviting her to paint a small unit. That got my pancerni Cossacks done with little effort, and they look pretty good too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DFlynSqrl

Quote from: nikharwood on 27 July 2011, 12:25:05 PM
Oh - and I never try to force it: if I'm in the mood, I'll paint like a man possessed. If I'm not, I'll do something else.  :)

That's the key for me.  I seem to get more projects finished this method.  Even though there are times when I might take a whole week off from painting.

Another thing I've found is listening to audio books.  I enjoy painting more, and also feel like I'm accomplishing on of my other hobbies:  Reading!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My usual motivation is 'Aaagh, I',m meant to be using that next Thursday, it's still undercoated, SH**E!'
As the mood takes me, between 8.55 and midnight, Monday, Tuesady, Friday (when I can go until 3.30am), Saturday and Sunday (if I haven't got loads of schoolwork to do).
Put my ipod on, MrsD watches her TV, I get on with it.
Why 8.55 - old superstition, if I start work after 9 my painting is awful, before and it's great!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Kassad

Quote from: nikharwood on 27 July 2011, 12:25:05 PM
For me it's about painting an army at a time.......
The right way for me. Also sometimes I tried with feel of guilt  :) .
2011 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I painted my first two 6mm armies while playing the entire "Ring" on four successive evenings. If you're a music lover, you've got an advantage.

Hertsblue

I've got to the stage now where I can't sit in front of the box and do nothing. Some irrisistible force drags me to the painting table - which has a perfect view of the screen anyway.

I fully agree with the "don't force it" rule, however. If you're tired or something starts to ache - give it up.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Gandalf

Start by doing the bit you enjoy least first eg paint the thousands of drab Sassanid levy spears before the cataphracts and clibinarii.
Have you seen the rivets on that?

Leman

Great ideas everyone. I also use the music and take time off if not in the mood. The key factor seems to be stick to one army at a time - that's how I completed my Austrian SYW.
Thanks for everyone's input.
DP

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Money - DP, as not doubt Nic will tell you.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 29 July 2011, 11:32:48 AM
Great ideas everyone. I also use the music and take time off if not in the mood. The key factor seems to be stick to one army at a time - that's how I completed my Austrian SYW.
Thanks for everyone's input.
DP
I enjoy SYW (Prussians and Austrians were among the 10% of my armies that survived the Great Purge when I realised that I had far mor armies than I needed or wanted), but Austrians are no great tests of patience, really; after a thorough white undercoat they're half painted already!

FierceKitty

Leman

Re. SYW, call me daft but I undercoat them black!
DP