sculpting larger shields ?

Started by meledward23, 18 May 2011, 05:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meledward23

I am curious as to what some think about this. Those with experience.

I have some greenstuff (and I am looking high and low for where I stored it). Looking at pendraken Saxons, they look like they are sculpts of pre 10th century figures as the shields are small. So I was thinking about sculpting and laying some larger green stuff shields over them.

Any thoughts on if this would work? Any tips?

Thanks.

Leon

I'm in no way an expert on this, but I'd expect sculpting dozens of shields would be very tricky.  I've not got the particular figure to hand, but would it be easier to clip the shield off and find some thin metal discs to glue in place?

I'm sure other people will have better ideas though!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

BlackEd

I would not use greenstuff to do what you are describing.  I do not know the figures that you are discussing, but I can tell you that if the shield has to be seperate from the body at all, then you will find greenstuff not up to the job. 

Instead I'd recommend making a larger shield out of plastic card to glue over the shield that is there.  Or remove the shield that is there and replace it.  Then I would use green stuff to hide any joins.

If all the shield are to be the same size, I'd make one shield.  Then I would make a mold of it using InstantMold.  Then I would make a number of additional shields by pressing putty into the mold.

Or ask Leon and Dave to cast up the converted figure.  :-\   ;)
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

snafu

Use miliput. it sets harder and is more rigid.

place a thin slab on some plasticard. using a hard flat surface press down firmly to get a thin flat pancake. about 1mm thick.

using a flat blade or similar tool mark out the shield shapes, you dont have to cut through but just mark the miliput.
allow this to dry thoroughly. then work out the shapes of the shields. by bending the plasticard the miliput will pop off.

Now using a file you can finish off the shields. if you ask leon nicely for a small fee he may even cast the m for you  ;)

hope this is useful.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!