Two Bases finished, id like your opinions.

Started by count_zero99uk, 10 April 2011, 04:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

count_zero99uk

Hey, got the two bases ive tried my painting of 10mm ww2 finished completely.  Id appreciate your thoughts and critisism.

Heres some pictures.

Thanks all
Brian
http://brushwars.wordpress.com/

GordonY

looking good mate, about the only change I'd make would be to paint the MP40s black and maybe paint the helmets a darker grey than the uniforms.

Gordon

Leman

Looks good if you paint the base edges either brown to match the base soil, green to match the table, or brown plus green where flocking touches the base. I intend to redo my edges in the third style by adding green.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

zaapark

Nice looking bases.  Might want to dry brush a lighter brown on the base where there is no flocking.  And don't forget to paint the edges like Dour Puritan suggested.
chris

CorvetteK225

On the right start. I only want to toss my hat in on the others comment shere. 1) Paint the base edges. 2) drybrush another color on the soil [three soil colors in total can really make a great effect]. 3) go a slightly farker shade different for the helmets [to show that they are metal and not fabric].

Dave

count_zero99uk

Cheers guys, shows im on the right path.

Darker Helmets - Something just like German Grey?

As for drybrushing the bases, i have done but theres not much texture to pick up.

Ill be edging them in Flat Earth.  And it will probly be the last job I do.

Another question, would you use static grass along with the flock, or do you think it will make it look too busy? 

nikharwood

Quote from: count_zero99uk on 10 April 2011, 10:55:12 PM
As for drybrushing the bases, i have done but theres not much texture to pick up.

Ill be edging them in Flat Earth.  And it will probly be the last job I do.

Another question, would you use static grass along with the flock, or do you think it will make it look too busy? 

Can you add some more [simple] texture? A drop of superglue here & there and then some sand will do it  - and will take you minutes [you need then just to wash it with brown ink or something...]

I'd bang in some static grass - on the edges of where you've flocked - again, a dab of superglue & a pinch of grass...job done [unless it looks too bright - in which case give the grass a fast & light drybrush of Bleached Bone or equivalent  8) ]

count_zero99uk

ill have a go tommorow with that.  I typically use pva for sand/flocking any special reason you say super glue

nikharwood

Quote from: count_zero99uk on 11 April 2011, 12:47:32 AM
ill have a go tommorow with that.  I typically use pva for sand/flocking any special reason you say super glue

Yeah mate - it's quickerer  ;) And it makes static grass stick up better...you do kind of have to work quicker though - so it's not for the faint-hearted  :o

count_zero99uk

Ok, heres my final standard.  Ill get the rest hopefully done today, if the lights ok.

Again let me know what you think.

NTM

Didn't really notice this until the last photo but the figures look like they are all heading off in random directions. I would prefer to see them generally facing the front of the base myself.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

adding things like ditches an fences is easy in 10mm. The WWI stuf I sold at Derby had thoes, and some bushes.

Fence - Plasturt, drill and thread cotton - paint as required.

Ditch, you have to build upward, two peices of the basing material, and smear with filler. Also use this one for trenches. Anyone at warfare saw my 6mm trenches and bunckers.

IanS ;) ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021