Units moving out of 'Difficult' terrain.

Started by T13A, Yesterday at 09:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

Just a generic query, say in the rules you play that units move at half speed in woods and you have a unit in 'march column' (for sake of argument) where the front of the column has moved out of the woods but part of it is still in the woods, on its next turn does it get a full move or does it still move at half speed (just using woods as an example of 'difficult terrain)?  :-\

Just wondering if there is a general consensus on this or people play it in different ways.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Raider4

QuoteJust a generic query, say in the rules you play that units move at half speed in woods and you have a unit in 'march column' (for sake of argument) where the front of the column has moved out of the woods but part of it is still in the woods, on its next turn does it get a full move or does it still move at half speed (just using woods as an example of 'difficult terrain)?  :-\
If any of the unit is still on the woods, then you still get the half speed move. Surely? At least until you clear the woods.

fred.

We play that if any part of the unit is still in the terrain, then the whole unit is slowed by the terrain. 

But once they clear the terrain they can move at full speed, for the rest of that turn. 

Eg, a unit has a 6" move speed, and the wood costs double the move distance. 

They start in the middle of the wood, can move 3". Say that gets the unit half out of the wood, so that only 1" of the base is still in the wood, then next turn they move 1" out of the wood (costing 2" of movement) then can move a further 4" in the rest of the turn in the open. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Last Hussar

I'd go with worst modifier any part of the unit is in, like Raider. I always assume unit footprint on the table is the area the unit takes up on the field.

Consider the unit approaching where the woods are only part of the frontage. The following example is for a horse and musket line, 4 bases wide:

There are woods that blocks the rightmost base as the unit advances. This would block the base - they can't move at full speed because of woods. The rest of the unit would have to slow to keep the line intact.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Chris Pringle

In the rules we usually use (BBB), if any part of the unit is in Difficult Terrain at the start of the turn, the unit incurs both an activation penalty and (if it manages to activate) a movement penalty.