Deliveries.

Started by Orcs, 03 October 2024, 09:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

The recent trend with multiple delivery services is to leave a parcel on your doorstep and take a photo as proof of delivery. This is a load of bullsh*t, All it proves is the parcel was placed by your door (often they seem to get the wrong door) and a photo taken.

It certainly does not prove you received it.(I have even had this for signed for parcels.) Often the person delivering it is nowhere in sight even if you answer the door as soon as they knock.

The delivery man could just as easily picked it up and put it back in his van. or it could be stolen while sitting prominently at the doorstep for all the world to see.

It has been encouraged I believe by the fact that the delivery service (particularly Amazon)can simply pass back any claims to the seller.

Fortunately so far we have not been subject to a disappearing/wrongly delivered  parcel at this address, but every week on the village facebook page you have someone posting "have you seen my parcel" or " this is not my Door, has anyone received this parcel". And our village is only 3000 people.

Rant over   

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Only had one - delivery by EVRI dropped at house behind - wrong address quoted and not found by occupant once I was informed where it had been delivered. Company did send me a replacement..Mind you Royal Snail did try to deliver to flat downstairs dueto the excentric numbering - I'm 45, downstairs is 45A...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Matt J

This happens all the time but there are only 5 houses in my village its less of an issue.

You need a smaller village
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Quote from: Matt J on 03 October 2024, 12:51:49 PMThis happens all the time but there are only 5 houses in my village its less of an issue.

You need a smaller village

Na - you have no pub, shop, post office, wargames store.....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Hear! Hear! Same issue on this side.
I am fortunate to live in a location where porch piracy is rare, although wrong address delivery is an occasional problem. Like my lord Kermit, we live in a small place with all our neighbors known, so mis-delivery has never been a problem.

For friends and family in much larger place it is the Wild West.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fred.

Quote but every week on the village facebook page you have someone posting ...

This is your first problem  ;)

Despite living in a town (100,000 population) we seem to do fine with deliveries - perhaps helped by lots of regular Victorian streets with clear numbers and names! Our parcels are often popped inside the porch by the delivery drivers. And they tend to be good at leaving with neighbours too.

I now realised I have cursed myself and my next delivery will be thrown in the gutter...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

DecemDave

I am comforted by the thought that if some IQ 25 urk purloins my parcels thinking they are full of drug tradeable valuables, they will open up their ill gotten gains and say "WTF?" at the shiny bags of Pendraken figures or other esoteric wargame stuff.

The only valuable thing ever to go missing here was a reproduction Domesday book which was wrongly delivered to the local nursing home. (similar address) They were utterly clueless as to what it was, but disappointingly had had no intention of returning it to sender or passing it along. 

Raider4

Quote. . . with clear numbers and names! . . .
That's a problem in our street. Ours is the only house with the actual number displayed in a row of 8 - 3 one side, 4 the other. You can see the drivers counting from ours, either up or down.

Orcs

We have our house number and street name on plaque by the front door. We still get people ringing the doorbell and saying is this XXXXX. When I point at the plaque they say "Oh, its not"

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

It's always been like that here. Neighbours regularly turn up at each other's doors in our street with a misdelivered parcel, a smile, and frequently some fruit (a nuisance, since you feel you have to remember them in turn next  time you go out of town). The only real problem is the next-door neighbour, an old man with a clear hoarder's mental disorder who has been known to add other people's parcels to his piles of junk in the burstingly overloaded front yard. Fortunately his wife keeps an eye on things and surreptitiously passes the parcel to the rightful destination.
Population in this burg is possibly twenty million.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

I live in a four-to-a-block maisonette. The two ground floor flats have their entrance doors on the sides of the building.

The number of couriers/ grocery delivery people I see roaming up and down the street trying to work out where half the addresses have gone still surprises me.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Scorpio_Rocks

It is an absolute nightmare! I live in a block of 6 flats on the 1st floor (2nd story for our overseas brethren) on a "Walk". The small service road behind the blocks has no numbers or road signs and unless the poor delivery guys stroll up the walk it can be a pain to find...
No excuse, however, for throwing stuff onto my balcony, or leaving on the grass by the bin area where i will never see it.
Royal mail are worse - they have fobs to get into the building and still leave mail outside the doors! >:(  >:(  >:(
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Last Hussar

Luckily I have a friendly Sunjester who received the Wrooden Wrussians for me. There is no where to leave parcels for my block of flats - though it doesn't stop them leaving it by the main street door.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 04 October 2024, 01:12:42 PMLuckily I have a friendly Sunjester who received the Wooden russians for me.

You would think that he would paint a few while they are waiting to be collected. :)

Last Hussar

To quote Sharpe/Sean Bean

"Bastard".
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry