Newline Designs 20mm Napoleonics

Started by henjed, 27 August 2024, 09:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henjed

Hello,

Does anyone out there know about Newline Designs 20mm Napoleonics?  28mm minis intimidate me (painting-wise) but 20mm I can manage, and I'm looking to play Sharp Practice with them so don't need too many figures.

They seem to paint up OK from what I've seen online (although there are v few pictures on their website and v little detail about the dates of the uniform of the figures); but I'm puzzled by their pricing online - you seem to be able to get a 24 mini pack of infantry for £9.80 which seems very cheap for 20mm metal minis, but their smaller packs are considerably dearer per figure (£2.40 for 4 figures) - almost as though there are two ranges and they are selling off earlier sculpts more cheaply?  Perhaps it's just a very generous offer for bigger packs.

Any thoughts/views/opinions welcome!

Mike H

Orcs

I have some of his 20mm WW2 figures and they are very nice. I don't think he has two ranges.

He has always been quite good value, but some of his price structures vary quite a bit. Some army packs are a lot better value than others.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

henjed

Thanks for that.  I think they are going to be at Colours in September so I may wander off and have a chat with the proprietor and look at his wares.

I was going to go for 18mm AB minis, which look superb; but they are almost twice as expensive per mini (in respect of the cost of the bigger Newline packs) and I am a man on a tight budget!

Corso

Newline make great Napoleonics. I painted up a bunch for drums and shakos  but ended up selling them on, might have a picture somewhere
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

henjed

I must admit I am increasingly tempted by Newline.

Although I am old and wise enough (ahem) to understand that poor photos of minis doesn't equate to poor quality minis, or that the absence of photos must prompt anxiety (let's face it, we all pretty much bought minis blind 40 years ago), I find myself increasingly drawn to more 'glamorous' miniature manufacturer websites.

Must resist! Reputation matters more than pretty pictures!

Corso

I could only find the one picture of these 60th rifles

The Officer is a minor conversion

pierre the shy

Great job as usual  :-bd 

very Sharpe  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Corso

The paintings better than the picture  ;D

They are great figures and easy to paint.

henjed

Norm

If you look though this blokes blog, he has a lot of Newline naps.

Link

https://weepaintedmen.blogspot.com/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Corso

henjed

Even more encouraging. I'll definitely pick some up at Colours next Saturday.

Corso

And some French here

There is also a newline painters group if Facebook is your thing