Operation Vigorous June 1942

Started by pierre the shy, 09 August 2024, 05:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

At least the Blackburn Roc isn't an option...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

Quotefully enclosed cockpits - luxury!!

When I was lad we had to wear woolly hats.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But they could have been, still around til 44 in Bermuda
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

pierre the shy

Finished adding 0.8mm brass masts, painting and basing 18 Italian and British cruisers today....just got to do some destroyers now I have finally unearthed my remaining ones to be done from the very bottom of my lead pile.

Not sure how I managed to acquire so many Dido class cruisers over the years but they'll all be useful.....plenty of Med based scenarios for them to appear in, though their names are all Greek to me ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

pierre the shy

The Admiralty regrets to announce the loss of the battleship HMS Warspite during recent convoy operations in the Mediterranian Theatre of Operations.

Our naval forces inflicted heavy damage on at least one Italian battleship and destroyed many enemy aircraft.

However the convoy was forced to turn back short of its destination due to the presence of superior enemy naval  forces.

Further communicques will be issued in due course.

Opps  :-[   

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

T13A

QuoteThe Admiralty regrets to announce the loss of the battleship HMS Warspite during recent convoy operations in the Mediterranian Theatre of Operations.

Nooooo!  :o  :'(

Must be a fault with the rules (or the umpire)!

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Peter, I wonder if you have read C. S. Forester's "The Ship"?
A short novel describing an RN light cruiser squadron (and some destroyers) defending a convoy to Malta from a sizable portion of the Italian fleet.

It was written at the height of the war and is an iconography of the RN. Still it is much in Hornblower style and I remember enjoying all the tactical and operational details.

Enjoy your game (and Liscarroll as well  :) ). Awaiting reports on both (and pics, don't forget pics).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

d_Guy

Incidentally, before Kitty pounces (as he sometimes does when he sees language use as a ball of twine), I did consider both "hagiography" and "paean to" before using "iconography". It is a study of iconic RN officers and rating types with much of thier interior life exposed.  :D
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 02 September 2024, 03:28:18 PMPeter, I wonder if you have read C. S. Forester's "The Ship"?
Excellent book! One of my favourites. It may be called "the Ship" but it is all about the frail humans it carried.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

pierre the shy

Yes I have read most of C.S Forester's works, including "The Ship", which is based on events at the Second Battle of Sirte. He also wrote "Gold from Crete" about the exploits of a British destroyer flotilla in the Med during the early part of the war.

If you want a slightly gritter human story of the wartime RN from a contemporary author try Nicolas Monserrat's "The Cruel Sea" which was made into a very good film in the early 50's when the last Flower Class corvettes were still in service. "Snorkers for dinner!!"  ;D

There are several other Malta convoy actions that I'd like to try at some stage now I know the scenario concept worked pretty well overall. But with a lot of aircraft and two tables we did not get quite as many turns as I had hoped as each turn takes a while to work through. Still we got a fairly decisive result in the time we did play. Warspite was the only ship that was lost on either side, though as you will see the Italian flagship had a lucky escape.

fsn

If we're going down that path, I'd add Alistair MacLean's "HMS Ulysses", which about Arctic Convoys, and Monsarrat's short story "HMS Marlborough Will Enter Harbour" - but "The Ship" is most relevant to the thread. :)